Posting Note: This position offers a $5,000 Sign-on Bonus.
This position oversees the daily activities of the medication management process and provides comprehensive pharmacy services to patients from neonate to young adulthood while performing the duties of a registered pharmacist as defined by the Arizona State Board of Pharmacy and Phoenix Children’s Hospital. This position also ensures compliance with Federal, State and local laws and regulations as well as proper storage and documentation. This position reports directly to the Manager, Pharmacy Operations who oversees daily staffing and operations.
- Family-Centered care that focuses on the need of the child first and values the family as an important member of the care team
- Excellence in clinical care, service and communication
- Collaborative within our institution and with others who share our mission and goals
- Leadership that set the standard for pediatric health care today and innovations of the future
- Accountability to our patients, community and each other for providing the best in the most cost-effective way.
Reviews and manages medication orders for therapeutic appropriateness based upon age, weight, height, laboratory values, diagnosis and other patient and clinical information pertinent to safe and effective care.
- Effectively screens for and manages clinical alerts/conditions (i.e. allergies, interactions, therapeutic duplications, adverse drug reactions (ADR) etc.)
- Actively problem solves issues with medication orders and contacts the prescriber to recommends appropriate alternative medication therapy as needed.
- Complies with the directives of the Pharmacy and Therapeutics Committee related to Formulary Management.
- Documents clinical interventions to meet or exceed established cost containment and evidence based medication therapy goals for the department and organization.
- Actively reviews, verifies or enters medication orders into medication management systems in an accurate and timely manner. Appropriately evaluates entries to the patient profile and intervenes when needed to ensure patient safety.
Demonstrates and utilizes appropriate clinical pharmacy skills in assessing and formulating medication therapy recommendations to medical staff and other health care providers that are safe, evidence based, care appropriate and cost effective.
- Participates in Main Hospital Core and Remote Campus Pharmacist assigned duties.
- Participates in Point of Care Pharmacist assigned duties when applicable.
- Actively participates in the ongoing education and training of self, other pharmacists, pharmacy residents, interns, technicians and student learners and orientation of new employees.
- Directly supervises the work of technical, intern and support staff to ensure accuracy in medication preparation and dispensing and coordinates efficient daily workflow.
Acts as liaison between the pharmacy and the medical and nursing staff for issues pertaining to medication management and pharmacy services. Participates in hospital and department operational and quality improvement initiatives where applicable.
- Serves in a professional capacity, when applicable, on unit-based medical and other clinical teams providing information and recommendations for service and patient care.
- Provides support for hospital and unit- based quality and safety teams, where applicable.
- Effectively communicates problems, unique patient needs and other necessary information to on-coming staff for enhanced continuity of care. Responds to all modes of communication within the department and hospital and proactively solves problems. Answers phones promptly and politely demonstrating PCH Values of excellence in clinical care, service and communication at all times.
- Prepares and dispenses sterile and non-sterile medications, in an accurate and timely manner, in compliance with departmental and organizational policies and procedures, annual department goals and in accordance with all state and federal laws, statues and quality standards agencies.
Initiates, processes and completes all associated incident, adverse drug reaction and controlled substance documentation reports and records to ensure ongoing compliance with quality and regulatory requirements and standards.
- Participates in data collection and reporting of Drug Use Evaluation, Quality Assurance and Performance Improvement activities within defined hospital information systems.
- Maintains investigational drug study records and documentation as required by the study sponsor and accrediting bodies.
Provides evidence based medication education and/or information to patients, caregivers, medical and hospital staff for inpatient and outpatient areas as appropriate and applicable.
- Provides counseling both oral and written to patients and/or caregivers for outpatient prescriptions where applicable.
- Provides targeted medication information (Drug Information) and home medication screening for inpatient and outpatient areas.
- Performs miscellaneous job related duties as requested.