Manager of Outpatient PharmacyApply!
This position is responsible for managing daily operations of the Outpatient Pharmacy and the Prescription Discharge Delivery Service. Directly manages lead pharmacists, lead technicians, pharmacy technician specialists and the patient care coordinator. Provides supervision and oversight of the outpatient clinical staff pharmacists, pharmacy interns, pharmacy technicians, pharmacy clerks and students. Responsible for human resource management support and functions for all outpatient pharmacy staff. This position reports to the Director of Outpatient Pharmacy Services and receives supervision from the Chief of Pharmacy Services.
Actively leads daily outpatient pharmacy operations to maintain department quality control, regulatory compliance, and safe medication management. Ensures appropriate staffing levels to satisfy business needs and provide safe, effective, and timely patient care.
- Supports the Lead Pharmacist in the completion, management and timely posting of the clinical staff pharmacist and pharmacy intern schedule.
- Supports the Lead Pharmacy Technician in the completion, management and timely posting of the pharmacy technician staff schedule.
- Approves Paid Time Off (PTO) requests for the pharmacists and pharmacy technicians.
- Creates and maintains job duties for technician and pharmacist roles.
- Leads staff huddles and/or actively participates in daily hospital safety brief.
Directly manages the Lead Pharmacist, Lead Pharmacy Technician, Pharmacy Technician Specialist and Patient Care Coordinator positions. Contributes to the supervision, evaluations, and competency training of the pharmacy technicians and clinical staff pharmacist(s) and pharmacy interns.
- Completes 90 day and scheduled performance evaluations on time.
- Initiates and delivers for cause Performance Improvement Plans (PIP) with the support of the Director of Outpatient Pharmacy Services.
- Ensures all staff training requirements have been met and documentation is completed in a timely manner.
- Responsible for hiring of Pharmacist and Pharmacy Technician staff. To include completion of initial application screening, scheduling, and organizing onsite interviews. Supports the Human Resource Department with onboarding of new employees.
- Develops and implements programs that support employee engagement.
Assists in the development, implementation, and evaluation of department`s operations, clinical and financial goals. Assures individual goals coincide with the department and hospital goals.
- Actively contributes to meeting cost savings and expense reduction goals.
- Actively contributes to achievement of productivity and revenue goals.
- Provides active oversight of medication inventory to ensure adequate supply for patient care.
- Develops individual annual goals to meet department and organizational targets.
- Responsible for assisting the Director of Outpatient Pharmacy Services to achieve organizational goals by promoting the development, preparation, implementation, and attainment of departmental goals, policies/procedures, and projects to improve medication safety, quality assurance, accessibility of outpatient pharmacy and ambulatory pharmacy clinic services.
Actively participates in the departmental education activities.
- Develops and implements competencies for pharmacy operations. Ensures that annual competencies are completed in a timely manner
- Provides preceptorship to pharmacy residents, pharmacy technician students, and college of pharmacy students.
- Creates and implements programs to educate and develop staff.
Acts as liaison between the pharmacy, medical, nursing and hospital staff for issues pertaining to outpatient pharmacy and prescription discharge delivery services.
- Builds and strengthens relationships with medical, nursing, hospital and clinic staff to provide safe, timely, high quality care for patients.
- Effectively communicates problems, patient needs and pertinent information to enhance continuity of care. Responds promptly to all modes of communication within the department and hospital and proactively solves problems. Answers phones promptly and politely demonstrating PCH Values of excellence in clinical care, service, and communication at all times.
Maintains competency as a clinical staff pharmacist and provides staffing support as needed for various shifts within the department.
- Completes all assigned competencies for the pharmacy department and hospital.
- Functions in a daily staff role as required.
- Provides direct oversight and timely and accurate verification of final products for compounded medication preparations, dispensing and distribution in compliance with state, federal statutes, and hospital procedures.
Attends in-services, on the job training, required leadership classes offered by PCH, and participates in continuing education programs to meet Arizona Board of Pharmacy licensure requirements.
- Builds and maintains operational knowledge in areas such as pharmacy software functionality, regulatory compliance, compounding room operations, inventory management, and emergency preparedness.
- Maintains and provides oversight for pharmacy operations technology and other hospital information systems. Maintains medication and supply inventory in conjunction with the Lead Pharmacy Technician to meet daily patient care needs.
Supports and leads quality assurance and medication safety initiatives within the department.
- Collects, analyzes, and applies medication event data to identify and implement changes to improve safety in operations and workflow.
- Performs miscellaneous job related duties as requested.
Phoenix Children's Mission, Vision, & Values
To advance hope, healing and the best healthcare for children and their familiesVision
Phoenix Children's will be the leading pediatric health system in the Southwest, nationally recognized for exceptional care, innovative research and advanced medical education.
We realize this vision by:
- Offering the most comprehensive care across ages, communities and specialties
- Investing in innovative research, including emerging treatments, tools and technologies
- Advancing education and training to shape the next generation of clinical leaders
- Advocating for the health and well-being of children and families
- We place children and families at the center of all we do
- We deliver exceptional care, every day and in every way
- We collaborate with colleagues, partners and communities to amplify our impact
- We set the standards of pediatric healthcare today, and innovate for the future
- We are accountable for making the highest quality care accessible and affordable