This position works under the direction of a licensed health care professional and performs various clinical and administrative tasks for the assigned area. Under the direction of the Orthodontist, the Orthodontic Assistant provides chair side assistance to the Orthodontist and perform various orthodontic procedures such as wire changes, placing separators and bands, reties and c-chains; taking alginate impressions; and exposing and developing oral x-rays. The Orthodontic Assistant demonstrates proficiency with sterilizing instruments and maintaining appropriate infection control.
Performs daily chair procedures as directed by the Orthodontist including but not limited to:
- a. Performs wire changes, reties, steel ties, c-chains, and other orthodontic functions.
- b.Place separators and fit bands in preparation for fabrication of appliances.
- c.Fit, fabricate and deliver retraction and protraction headgear and understands the indications.
- d.Understands the fundamentals of bonding and bracket placement.
- e.Takes alginate impressions and pours diagnostic quality models.
- i.Trims, labels and files study models after provider review.
- f.Duplicates and fabricates baby trays, fabricates nasal stints and records lab cases in logbook.
- g.Exposes and develops oral radiographs according to policy and downloads information monthly to database.
- h.Takes intraoral and extraoral photographs and catalogues and backs up photos.
- i.Assembles and maintains full set of orthodontic records in electronic medical record and according to policy.
- j.Assists with obtaining of insurance authorizations by providing additional information on denials and verifying authorizations for accuracy as needed.
Assists with treatment duties at the direction of the Orthodontist including but not limited to:
- a.Participates in completion of treatment plan by removing braces and bands as indicated.
- b.Cleanses the supragingival surface of the tooth in preparation for:
- Placement of bands, crowns, and restorations
- Dental dam application
- Acid etch procedures; and
- Removal of dressings and packs
- c.Removes excess cement from inlays, crowns, bridges, and orthodontic appliances with hand instruments.
- d.Removes temporary cement, interim restorations, and periodontal dressings with hand instruments.
- e.Reviews patient responsibility and home care by instructing patients in oral hygiene techniques, preventive procedures, dietary counseling for caries and plaque control, and providing pre-and post-operative instructions relative to specific office treatment.
- f.Participates in additional dental treatments within the Orthodontic Assistant scope when indicated such as applying sealants and fluoride treatments under Orthodontist supervision.
Demonstrates proficiency with sterilizing of instruments and infection control
- a. Demonstrates infection control standards related to hand washing and standard precautions between all patient-related activities.
- b.Prepares instruments and materials; cleans/sterilizes and maintains functioning instruments and equipment, prepares inventory on equipment and dental supplies.
- c.Keeps orthodontic supplies stocked and monitors for outdated supplies.
- Performs miscellaneous job related duties as requested.
Phoenix Children's Mission, Vision, & Values
To advance hope, healing and the best healthcare for children and their familiesVision
Phoenix Children's will be the leading pediatric health system in the Southwest, nationally recognized for exceptional care, innovative research and advanced medical education.
We realize this vision by:
- Offering the most comprehensive care across ages, communities and specialties
- Investing in innovative research, including emerging treatments, tools and technologies
- Advancing education and training to shape the next generation of clinical leaders
- Advocating for the health and well-being of children and families
- We place children and families at the center of all we do
- We deliver exceptional care, every day and in every way
- We collaborate with colleagues, partners and communities to amplify our impact
- We set the standards of pediatric healthcare today, and innovate for the future
- We are accountable for making the highest quality care accessible and affordable