Medical Assistant - Child Protection TeamApply!
Posting Note: The Child Protection Team Medical Assistant will work with children that have been suspected of abuse and/or neglect. Many of these children bring with them a complexity of issues, both physically and emotionally, at a trauma stage level. You will work closely with outside agencies that partner with Phoenix Children’s (DCS, Law Enforcement, Maricopa County, FBI, etc.) to ensure that the child is provided the necessary care. You will assist the provider with performing a medical exam in both the inpatient and outpatient setting, assist with gathering forensic evidence, perform point of care testing, venipuncture and other duties as needed. Your clerical and verbal skills will be needed to assist with patient registration and scheduling appointments. Schedule: M-F 8:00-5:00 and On-call hours 5:00 P.M. - 12:00 A.M. On Call hours are One day/week and one weekend/month 8:00 a.m. -12:00 A.M. You will be compensated while on call and paid at time and a half for any callbacks. Location: 2120 North Central Avenue, Phoenix AZ with travel to Main Campus, Mesa and Goodyear as needed Requirements: Fingerprint clearance card, Medical Assistant Diploma, and an RMA (AMT) or CMA (AAMA) certification Compassion and empathy to work with this patient population and excellent verbal, written, and PC skills are needed. Previous experience working with child neglect/abuse is preferred but not required. Willing to train the right person
This role works under the direction of a licensed health care professional and performs various clinical and administrative tasks for the assigned area. The Medical Assistant is expected to carry out the mission, vision, and values of Phoenix Children’s Hospital. A continuous exhibition of professionalism, strong ethical conduct, and integrity must be carried out at all times. Interdepartmental collaboration, high standards of work performance, keeping a positive attitude and adhering to the policies and procedures of Phoenix Children’s Hospital is essential. This position requires current and continuous certification from the American Association of Medical Assistants (CMA) or American Medical Technologists (RMA) in the field of Medical Assisting or the ability to acquire within 90 days of hire. Anyone hired prior to 11/30/2021 has one year from their date of hire to obtain their required Medical Assistant Certification.
Consistent with Medical Assistant education and under the direction of a licensed health care professional, the Certified Medical Assistant performs the following clinical responsibilities including but not limited to:
- a)Measures and records vital signs, growth parameters, medical histories, and signs and symptoms into the electronic health record
- b)Communicates patient related information to the licensed health care provider
- c)Performs electrocardiograms, pulmonary function tests, and other diagnostic testing within the Medical Assisting scope
- d)Collects laboratory specimens (including blood specimens)
- e)Performs point of care testing
- f)Prepares and administers medication at the direction of a licensed health care provider and adheres to all regulations, guidelines, and policies for medication labeling, security and storage, inventory management and disposal.
- g)Performs routine screening tests
- h)Assists the provider with exams and procedures
- i)Removes sutures, changes dressings, applies bandages and other first aid procedures
- j)Prepares and instructs patients about examinations, diagnostic tests, medications, special diets, and health maintenance
- k)Disposes of bio-hazardous materials in accordance with OSHA safety standards and hospital policies
- l)Demonstrates infection control standards related to hand washing and standard precautions including ensuring that all equipment in exam room is cleaned according to hospital policies
- m)Follows PCH and OSHA safety rules and procedures at all times
- n)Upholds HIPAA regulations
Administrative responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- a) Processes and communicates prescription refills to pharmacies as authorized by a licensed health care provider in accordance with regulations, policies and approved departmental protocols.
- b) Obtains prior authorizations for medication
- c) Obtains prior authorizations for DME
- d) Screens telephone calls and takes accurate clinical messages within the Medical Assisting scope of practice as well as in accordance with PCH policies
- e) Returns patient calls with provider directed instructions
- f) Assists patients and providers in completing documentation and any other
- paperwork in which a provider is required to disclose and/or attest to
- g) Utilizes medication reconciliation tools within EHR.
- h) Cleans and restocks exam rooms
- i) In some clinics, may serve as a witness to cycle counting and wasting of controlled substances
- j) Follows appropriate legal and ethical professional conduct
- Remains up to date with certifications, company mandated training and professional development.
- Performs miscellaneous job related duties as requested.
Phoenix Children's Mission, Vision, & Values
To advance hope, healing and the best healthcare for children and their familiesVision
Phoenix Children's will be the leading pediatric health system in the Southwest, nationally recognized for exceptional care, innovative research and advanced medical education.
We realize this vision by:
- Offering the most comprehensive care across ages, communities and specialties
- Investing in innovative research, including emerging treatments, tools and technologies
- Advancing education and training to shape the next generation of clinical leaders
- Advocating for the health and well-being of children and families
- We place children and families at the center of all we do
- We deliver exceptional care, every day and in every way
- We collaborate with colleagues, partners and communities to amplify our impact
- We set the standards of pediatric healthcare today, and innovate for the future
- We are accountable for making the highest quality care accessible and affordable