This position is a lead role for the Histology Laboratory in the Pathology Department and is responsible for staff work flow, quality control, equipment, inventory, and procedural oversight in the Histology area. This position performs general, routine, highly complex histologic functions and immunohistochemical testing, as well as advanced genetic and molecular assays according to clearly prescribed procedures and laboratory techniques or developmental methods. This position receives general supervision of work activities from the department supervisor or manager.
- Oversees and assists with work activities of assigned staff to ensure achievement of established goals, objectives, and outcomes; provides guidance, mentoring, and direction, as appropriate for ongoing staff development.
- Oversees the adequate maintenance of inventory levels and orders supplies as appropriate.
- Able to work independently and perform general, complex, highly complex and advanced histology functions (small tissue grossing, tissue processing, embedding, microtomy, routine H&E staining, coverslipping, special stains, histochemical stains, immunohistochemistry, IHC antibody titration and optimization, protocol troubleshooting, histochemical test development, immunofluorescence, and in situ hybridization).
- Processes and prepares cytologic specimens for evaluation.
- Responsible for the maintenance and working condition of equipment and instruments within the area.
- Participates in the evaluation and/or development of new procedures, instrumentation, assays, and quality improvement initiatives. Proactively evaluates practices and assists to create and implement changes to increase and enhance the effectiveness of methods.
- Performs, reviews, and maintains Quality Control testing, records, departmental procedures and files for the area to ensure ongoing compliance with policies, regulations, and safety guidelines for safe work practices.
- Participates in, generates reports, and maintains Quality Assurance data, files, and reports.
- Maintains professional and technical competency through constantly pursuing knowledge and self-improvement by remaining apprised of current literature, practices and, new developments in the field of histology. This includes participation in continuing education opportunities to maintain certification.
- Assembles and delivers patient case slides and reports to pathologists.
- Files and maintains storage of tissues blocks, glass slides, tissue controls.
- Performs miscellaneous job related duties as requested.
Phoenix Children's Mission, Vision, & Values
To advance hope, healing and the best healthcare for children and their familiesVision
Phoenix Children's will be the leading pediatric health system in the Southwest, nationally recognized for exceptional care, innovative research and advanced medical education.
We realize this vision by:
- Offering the most comprehensive care across ages, communities and specialties
- Investing in innovative research, including emerging treatments, tools and technologies
- Advancing education and training to shape the next generation of clinical leaders
- Advocating for the health and well-being of children and families
- We place children and families at the center of all we do
- We deliver exceptional care, every day and in every way
- We collaborate with colleagues, partners and communities to amplify our impact
- We set the standards of pediatric healthcare today, and innovate for the future
- We are accountable for making the highest quality care accessible and affordable