Lead Sterile Processing Department TechApply!
Posting Note: Mon-Fri, Evenings, Nights, 2:30pm-10pm
The Lead Sterile Processing & Distribution Technician provides a variety of technical functions in the decontamination and sterilization of surgical instruments and other medical supplies in compliance with policies and procedures of Perioperative Services, AORN, JCAHO, OSHA, and AAMI standards. The Lead SPD Technician has additional responsibilities of overseeing the SPD department in conjunction with management as well as maintenance of records and ensuring equipment is in proper working order. This position is required to hold a national certification as noted in the job qualifications.
Decontaminates and sterilizes instruments.
- Decontaminates, sorts, packages, and sterilizes instrumentation and equipment in accordance with manufacturers recommendations.
- Provides appropriate sterilization indicators in packaging; documents parameters and outcomes of sterilization process.
- Assembles and tests instrumentation and power to ensure proper functioning prior to sterilization.
- Coordinates decontamination process of instruments and equipment to ensure adequate availability for cases.
- Processes contaminated scopes according to manufacturers recommendations and departmental guidelines.
- Operates autoclaves, Steris and washer sterilizer, as appropriate to provide for timely availability of instruments and equipment for efficient departmental operations
- Handles and cares for instrumentation and equipment to prevent breakage and damage.
Oversees SPD department in conjunction with management.
- Actively participates in staff and team meetings. Assists in decision making to ensure complete and appropriate information is shared amongst patient care team.
- Maintains records of all sterilizers, biological and chemical monitoring of steam, and steris sterilizers to ensure proper operation, sterility of instruments and supplies in accordance with regulatory recommendations.
- Maintains Bowie Dick, biological and chemical monitoring of sterilization in accordance with established policy to ensure daily incubator reads for positive and negative spore testing; institutes recall of instruments and supplies when necessary.
- Works in conjunction with management on appropriate selection of new equipment, supplies, and instrumentation.
- Provides flexibility in hours to meet the needs of the patients and the department.
Acquires ongoing education regarding instrumentation and sterilization and relays pertinent updates to staff.
- Participates in a variety of unit based and hospital sponsored educational programs to maintain skills and competencies.
- Participates in operational and quality improvement initiatives; proactively evaluates systems, participates in improving the efficiency and effectiveness of operations.
- Rotates, stores, and orders supplies as needed. Uses instrument tray sheets for proper sorting and stringing of instruments and to indicate missing items.
- Performs miscellaneous job related duties as requested.
Phoenix Children's Mission, Vision, & Values
To advance hope, healing and the best healthcare for children and their familiesVision
Phoenix Children's will be the leading pediatric health system in the Southwest, nationally recognized for exceptional care, innovative research and advanced medical education.
We realize this vision by:
- Offering the most comprehensive care across ages, communities and specialties
- Investing in innovative research, including emerging treatments, tools and technologies
- Advancing education and training to shape the next generation of clinical leaders
- Advocating for the health and well-being of children and families
- We place children and families at the center of all we do
- We deliver exceptional care, every day and in every way
- We collaborate with colleagues, partners and communities to amplify our impact
- We set the standards of pediatric healthcare today, and innovate for the future
- We are accountable for making the highest quality care accessible and affordable