Laboratory Service SpecialistApply!
This is a patient/customer service-oriented position which is responsible for timely and accurate patient scheduling, specimen collection, and ordering to ensure timely and accurate results. The position requires knowledge and experience with venipuncture techniques to successfully acquire blood with minimal adverse impact to pediatric patients. A knowledge of electronic health record and laboratory information systems to manage patient specimen orders and submissions is required. This position reports to the Supervisor, Pre-Analytics.
- Accurately schedules patients for specimen collections as necessary for laboratory testing orders. Collects specimens (blood, sweat, saliva, etc.) as necessary to facilitate patient testing.
- Demonstrates knowledge and competency using the Laboratory Information System to accurately receive specimens, and order tests as indicated on the requisition. Data must be complete and accurately entered to include appropriate test name, footnotes, comments, order priorities, physician names, patient location, collection information, etc. Demonstrates competency in choosing the correct patient account to use for ordering tests.
- Demonstrates knowledge of reference laboratories utilized by the department and chooses appropriate reference laboratory for the testing ordered. Maintains thorough and complete documentation of work performed. Provides required information on all requisitions, lab orders, or worksheets handled. Files requisitions, reports, and other pathology/laboratory materials.
- Maintains positive working relationship with the medical staff and hospital personnel. Uses positive interpersonal skills to educate/support lab customers and promote success of team members. Uses clear and concise verbal and written communication with staff and the public. Acts independently on supervisor’s direction and accepts responsibility of the adopted policies and procedures of the hospital and the laboratory. Works different shifts as required.
- Under the supervision of the department supervisor, ensures areas of responsibility are maintained in accreditation with CAP, CMS and CLIA.
- Performs miscellaneous job related duties as requested.
Phoenix Children's Mission, Vision, & Values
To advance hope, healing and the best healthcare for children and their familiesVision
Phoenix Children's will be the leading pediatric health system in the Southwest, nationally recognized for exceptional care, innovative research and advanced medical education.
We realize this vision by:
- Offering the most comprehensive care across ages, communities and specialties
- Investing in innovative research, including emerging treatments, tools and technologies
- Advancing education and training to shape the next generation of clinical leaders
- Advocating for the health and well-being of children and families
- We place children and families at the center of all we do
- We deliver exceptional care, every day and in every way
- We collaborate with colleagues, partners and communities to amplify our impact
- We set the standards of pediatric healthcare today, and innovate for the future
- We are accountable for making the highest quality care accessible and affordable