This position performs general, routine, highly complex histologic functions and immunohistochemical testing, as well as advanced genetic and molecular assays according to clearly prescribed procedures and laboratory techniques or developmental methods. This position receives general supervision of work activities from the department supervisor and does not supervise any other position.
- Performs general histology functions independently to include small tissue grossing, tissue processing, embedding, microtomy, routine H&E staining, coverslipping.
- Performs complex histology functions independently to include complex histology functions include special stains, histochemical stains, immunohistochemical stains.
- Performs highly complex histology functions independently to include highly complex histology functions include IHC antibody titration and optimization, protocol troubleshooting, histochemical test development.
- Performs advanced histology functions independently to include IF (immunofluorescent) staining, molecular and genetic antibody testing, such as ISH (in situ hybridization) to include chromogenic (CISH), flourescent (FISH) and silver (SISH).
- Performs regular instrument maintenance in accordance with established instructions; identifies and troubleshoots malfunctions to ensure continuous proper and safe operations.
- Participates in the evaluation and/or development of new procedures, instrumentation, assays and quality improvement initiatives. Proactively evaluates practices and assists to create and implement changes to increase and enhance the effectiveness of methods. Monitors Quality Control performance and documentation.
- Assembles and delivers patient case slides and reports to pathologists.
- Files and maintains storage of tissues blocks, glass slides, tissue controls.
- Maintains professional and technical competency through constantly pursuing knowledge and self improvement by remaining apprised of current literature, practices and new developments in the field of histology. This includes participation in continuing education opportunities to maintain certification.
- Performs miscellaneous job related duties as requested.
Phoenix Children's Mission, Vision, & Values
To advance hope, healing and the best healthcare for children and their familiesVision
Phoenix Children's will be the leading pediatric health system in the Southwest, nationally recognized for exceptional care, innovative research and advanced medical education.
We realize this vision by:
- Offering the most comprehensive care across ages, communities and specialties
- Investing in innovative research, including emerging treatments, tools and technologies
- Advancing education and training to shape the next generation of clinical leaders
- Advocating for the health and well-being of children and families
- We place children and families at the center of all we do
- We deliver exceptional care, every day and in every way
- We collaborate with colleagues, partners and communities to amplify our impact
- We set the standards of pediatric healthcare today, and innovate for the future
- We are accountable for making the highest quality care accessible and affordable