Newborn Hearing Screener IApply!
Posting Note: This is a part time "PRN Position"
This entry level position will provide newborn hearing screens to infants in well baby and NICU nurseries at birthing facilities in the Greater Phoenix area.
Evaluate and prioritize infants to be screened prior to discharge from hospital based on established protocol.
- Factors to consider include:
- Time of birth
- Estimated discharge time, ensuring that length of stay is not prolonged to accommodate hearing screening
- Potential Need for 2nd screening prior to discharge for infants who do not pass first
- Baby state
Perform automated hearing screening tests.
- Explain purpose of NBHS to parents and answer any questions
- oIf a parent refuses, explain ramifications of undiagnosed hearing loss
- Refer child to audiology as appropriate
- oRefer any challenging cases or questions unable to answer.
- Prep patient and environment for screen
- Identify any risk factors for hearing loss
- Perform automated screening test using designated equipment, strictly following established protocols and procedures
- Interpret and record results accurately
- Inform parents of results of hearing screening, answering any questions
- oProvide parents with written information to take home about hearing loss and speech and language milestones
- oAssist parents in scheduling appropriate follow-up appointments if infant does not pass the hearing screening.
- Document screening test results in medical record, in state database, and newborn hearing screening log as indicated by screening protocol.
- Follow established infection control procedures, Utilize appropriate baby handling skills such as calming a baby, using soothing infant touch and swaddling as needed.
- Recognize problems with screening equipment, troubleshoot as necessary and report any recurrent or unresolved problems to program supervisor, monitor inventory of supplies and report supply needs to program coordinator, maintain appropriate supply levels with screening equipment and accurately enter patient counts and activities on productivity sheet, and accurately completes patient information log so that others can understand why babies were rolled to the next day and follow up information.
- Participate in quality improvement projects (including creation of policies and protocols) to improve delivery of newborn hearing screens, and to help infants achieve screening by 1 month of age, diagnostic evaluations by 3 months of age and intervention by 6 months of age if needed. Participation may include data collection and delivering service in different ways.
- Performs miscellaneous job related duties as requested.
Phoenix Children's Mission, Vision, & Values
To advance hope, healing and the best healthcare for children and their familiesVision
Phoenix Children's will be the leading pediatric health system in the Southwest, nationally recognized for exceptional care, innovative research and advanced medical education.
We realize this vision by:
- Offering the most comprehensive care across ages, communities and specialties
- Investing in innovative research, including emerging treatments, tools and technologies
- Advancing education and training to shape the next generation of clinical leaders
- Advocating for the health and well-being of children and families
- We place children and families at the center of all we do
- We deliver exceptional care, every day and in every way
- We collaborate with colleagues, partners and communities to amplify our impact
- We set the standards of pediatric healthcare today, and innovate for the future
- We are accountable for making the highest quality care accessible and affordable