Mental Health Therapist I - Emergency Department
Posting Note: We are seeking a compassionate and skilled mental health therapist to join our team in the pediatric emergency department. Our Emergency Department clinicians are equipped to evaluate and provide clinical recommendations for youth presenting to the ER with acute mental health needs. Therapist Is responsible for conducting psychosocial assessments and collaborating with a multidisciplinary team to ensure a timely care plan is implemented. Working closely with the medical team is essential to ensure comprehensive care and facilitate appropriate referrals for ongoing treatment. Additionally, this role will offer support to families and provide education for safety planning and adaptive coping. The ideal candidate will have a strong background in child and adolescent mental health, crisis intervention skills, and the ability to work efficiently in this setting.
This position provides consult coordination, clinical assessment, therapeutic interventions, care coordination and transition planning to patients and families as an independently licensed clinician. This position participates as an interdisciplinary team member providing interventions with the patient/family that include a range of care on an outpatient or inpatient basis. The position requires knowledge of evidence-based treatment modalities and the ability to use that knowledge to assist patients and families in achieving therapeutic goals. This position requires knowledge of mandated reporter responsibilities; use of financial, community and other resource networks; ability to advocate with outside systems; and collaborate with medical staff. This position may provide individual, group, and/or family therapeutic interventions for an assigned caseload. In addition to therapeutic interventions with patients and families, the position must be able to provide appropriate clinical documentation and recommendations to insurance reviewers, referral sources and to other governmental agencies as requested. This position receives administrative supervision from division leadership, and clinical direction from the Manager, Mental Health Therapy, and Division Chief, Psychology.
Provide Therapeutic Interventions
- Complete comprehensive individualized assessments that identify psychosocial factors important to management of physical, psychological, behavioral, emotional and/or mental health issues. Ensures assessments are documented appropriately for insurance reimbursement. Comply with PCH policies and practices.
- Utilize screening tools as necessary to identify appropriate levels of care.
- Develop patient-centered individualized treatment plans to improve patient health and wellness.
- Provide ongoing evidence-based therapeutic interventions that build on patient and family strengths and address ongoing mental health needs. Use clinical best practices to engage families and achieve desired clinical outcomes. Ensure services are clinically necessary and appropriately documented for insurance reimbursement. Provide services in accordance with PCH policies and practices.
- Identify barriers that impede treatment and/or recovery and help patient/family identify strengths and build on protective factors to assist with success at discharge.
Coordinate Care with Other Facilities and Providers
- Coordination of care with insurance companies, community partners or governmental agencies, as necessary to serve the needs of the child and family. Provides appropriate documentation for coordination and complies with PCH policies and practices.
- Cultivates and maintains effective interaction/communication with members of the medical staff, nursing staff, case manages, peers and families to facilitate care coordination provide and continuity of care.
- Develop treatment goals and objectives of disciplines involved in partite care, plans and coordinates effective treatment interventions.
- As necessary attend care conferences, interdisciplinary team rounds, and/or critical incidents/stress debriefings.
- Perform care coordination and monitor patients as they transition between outpatient and inpatient service.
- Refers cases identified as risk management issues, peer review issues, or quality issues to appropriate departmental units.
- Participates in hospital and departmental operations initiatives to improve care delivery methods.
- As unit based allotted, conducts or facilitates individual, group and family therapy meetings in the form of process groups, didactic groups; holds regular update meetings with families; provides patient and family education regarding behavioral health issues.
- Completes clinical record documentation in a timely manner and provides information to coordinate care, confirm demographic information, provide recommendations to assist colleagues and medical team with patient care. Creates documentation to bill for services, as appropriate.
- Maintains professional competency by regularly participating in a variety of educational programs and in services, reviewing relevant professional publication, participating in community based committees related to service line responsibilities, and/or participating in professional societies to ensure ongoing awareness of current methodologies, practices and philosophies as applied to the patient care population.
- Maintains current knowledge of community and other resource networks to meet patient and family needs, provides relevant resources, and assists, as necessary with connecting the patient/family to the relevant resources.
- Participation in continuing education to continually improve skills or abilities.
- Maintains independent licensure
- Performs miscellaneous job related duties as requested.
Phoenix Children's Mission, Vision, & Values
To advance hope, healing and the best healthcare for children and their familiesVision
Phoenix Children's will be the leading pediatric health system in the Southwest, nationally recognized for exceptional care, innovative research and advanced medical education.
We realize this vision by:
- Offering the most comprehensive care across ages, communities and specialties
- Investing in innovative research, including emerging treatments, tools and technologies
- Advancing education and training to shape the next generation of clinical leaders
- Advocating for the health and well-being of children and families
- We place children and families at the center of all we do
- We deliver exceptional care, every day and in every way
- We collaborate with colleagues, partners and communities to amplify our impact
- We set the standards of pediatric healthcare today, and innovate for the future
- We are accountable for making the highest quality care accessible and affordable