Clinical Pharmacist - Spec Rx
This position oversees the daily activities of the specialty medication management processes in the Phoenix Children’s Specialty Pharmacy and provides comprehensive pharmacy services to patients from neonate to adulthood while performing the duties of a registered pharmacist as defined by the Arizona State Board of Pharmacy and Phoenix Children’s. Clinical Pharmacists ensure compliance with Federal, State, and local laws and regulations. This position reports directly to the Specialty Pharmacy Supervisor for daily staffing, operations duties, and annual evaluation. The position reports directly to the Specialty Pharmacy Supervisor and is professionally accountable to the Director of Outpatient Pharmacy Services.
Reviews and manages medication orders for therapeutic appropriateness based upon age, weight, height, laboratory values (where appropriate), diagnosis and other patient and clinical information pertinent to safe and effective care.
- Effectively screens for and manages clinical alerts/conditions (i.e. allergies, interactions, therapeutic duplications, adverse drug reactions).
- Actively problem solves issues with medication orders and contacts the prescriber to recommend appropriate alternative medication therapy as needed.
- Complies with the directives of the Pharmacy and Therapeutics Committee related to Formulary Management.
- Actively reviews, verifies and/or enters medication orders into medication management systems in an accurate and timely manner. Appropriately evaluates entries to the patient profile and intervenes when needed to ensure patient safety. Prepares medication for dispensing in accordance with all applicable state and federal regulations.
Demonstrates and utilizes appropriate clinical pharmacy practice skills in assessing and formulating medication therapy recommendations to medical staff and other health care providers that are safe, evidence-based, care appropriate and cost effective, and provides operational support for medication management.
- Participates in special projects and medication management in ambulatory clinics and physician practice development.
- Actively participates in the ongoing education and training of self, other pharmacists, pharmacy residents, interns, technicians and student learners and orientation of new employees.
- Directly supervises the work of technical, intern and support staff to ensure accuracy in medication preparation and dispensing and coordinates efficient daily workflow.
Acts as liaison between the pharmacy and the medical and nursing staff for issues pertaining to medication management, outpatient and Prescription Discharge Delivery pharmacy services. Participates in hospital and department operational and quality improvement initiatives where applicable.
- Serves in a professional capacity, when applicable, on medical and other clinical teams providing information and recommendations for service and patient care.
- Provides support for hospital and outpatient quality and safety teams, where applicable.
- Effectively communicates problems, unique patient needs and other necessary information to on-coming staff for enhanced continuity of care. Responds to all modes of communication within the department and hospital and proactively solves problems. Answers phones promptly and politely demonstrating PCH Values of excellence in clinical care, service, and communication at all times.
- Prepares and dispenses hazardous and non-hazardous non-sterile medications, in an accurate and timely manner, in compliance with departmental and organizational policies and procedures, and in accordance with all state and federal laws, statutes and accrediting body quality standards.
- Initiates, processes and completes all associated medication occurrence, adverse drug reaction and controlled substance documentation reports and records to ensure ongoing compliance with quality and regulatory requirements and standards.
Provides evidence-based medication education and/or information to patients, caregivers, and medical and hospital staff.
- Provides counseling, both oral and written, to patients and/or caregivers for outpatient prescriptions in accordance with Arizona Board of Pharmacy regulations.
- Provides targeted medication information and home medication screening for applicable outpatient care areas.
- Performs miscellaneous job related duties as requested.
Phoenix Children's Mission, Vision, & Values
To advance hope, healing and the best healthcare for children and their familiesVision
Phoenix Children's will be the leading pediatric health system in the Southwest, nationally recognized for exceptional care, innovative research and advanced medical education.
We realize this vision by:
- Offering the most comprehensive care across ages, communities and specialties
- Investing in innovative research, including emerging treatments, tools and technologies
- Advancing education and training to shape the next generation of clinical leaders
- Advocating for the health and well-being of children and families
- We place children and families at the center of all we do
- We deliver exceptional care, every day and in every way
- We collaborate with colleagues, partners and communities to amplify our impact
- We set the standards of pediatric healthcare today, and innovate for the future
- We are accountable for making the highest quality care accessible and affordable