Pharmacy Tech IApply!
Posting Note: This is an evening shift (2nd) only. Please review other postings for first shift.
This position, under the direct supervision of a Pharmacist, assists in the procurement, storage, preparation, distribution, and delivery of medications and information and other pharmaceutical products to Phoenix Children’s patients in a timely and accurate fashion and in accordance with established Federal, State, local laws & regulations and procedures. This position reports directly to the Pharmacy Operations Supervisor.
Preparation and Dispensing Medications
- Assists in accurately preparing and labeling medications in accordance with Board of Pharmacy regulations and department policy. Receives & responds to direction by pharmacists. Prepares medications and verifies accuracy under the supervision of a Pharmacist prior to dispensing in accordance with scope of practice and department procedure.
Non-Sterile compounding and repackaging
- Performs non-sterile compounding and repackaging of both hazardous and non-hazardous medications per Federal, State, local laws and regulations. Also, adheres to department policy & procedures, USP 795 standards, USP 800 standards, and control substance regulations. Accurately completes corresponding record keeping and quality assurance documentation and ensures proper interim steps and final verification is performed by a Pharmacist.
Delivers medications and supplies to patient areas
- Delivers medications and supplies to patient areas per hospital and department timelines, guidelines, and hospital and pharmacy policies & procedures. Restocks automated dispensing cabinets, rotates stock and removes expiring medications of both patient specific doses and unit-dosed items available in the patient care areas and medication rooms prior to expiration.
Utilizes pharmacy information software
- Utilizes the pharmacy information software to appropriately process pharmacy requisition and medication requests for nursing units, clinics and other hospital departments to ensure timely availability of medications and supplies. Bills medications, and credits when appropriate, to patient charge record to ensure accurate and timely revenue capture.
- Actively performs as the first line for customer service support for the Pharmacy by answering telephones professionally. Provides direct service to hospital staff and external customers who come to the Pharmacy. Actively triages calls in a timely manner and defers calls to Pharmacist when issue is outside normal scope. Exhibits Phoenix Children`s Values of excellence in clinical care, service, and communications at all times. Proactively, independently solves customer service issues where appropriate.
- Assists in maintaining inventory levels of medications and supplies. Assists the pharmacy supply chain team with receipt of medications and supplies from designated vendors and Materials Management and stocks inventory accordingly. Rotates pharmacy inventory to ensure oldest stock is utilized first and all expired supplies and medications are removed prior to stated expiration date.
- Accurately completes and documents various quality assurance measures and checklists including, but not limited to; refrigerator temperature logs, nursing unit inspections, inventory management logs and any other record keeping tool required during staffing shift. Follows all department and hospital environment of care and waste control for pharmaceutical and non-pharmaceutical waste in accordance with established standards, procedures, and regulatory requirements.
- Participates in a variety of department process improvement initiatives, in-service programs, meetings and conferences to maintain ongoing awareness of current practices, methods and techniques. Utilizes departmental training to serve as a trainer for new staff. Completes hospital & department education.
- Performs miscellaneous job related duties as requested.
Phoenix Children's Mission, Vision, & Values
To advance hope, healing and the best healthcare for children and their familiesVision
Phoenix Children's will be the leading pediatric health system in the Southwest, nationally recognized for exceptional care, innovative research and advanced medical education.
We realize this vision by:
- Offering the most comprehensive care across ages, communities and specialties
- Investing in innovative research, including emerging treatments, tools and technologies
- Advancing education and training to shape the next generation of clinical leaders
- Advocating for the health and well-being of children and families
- We place children and families at the center of all we do
- We deliver exceptional care, every day and in every way
- We collaborate with colleagues, partners and communities to amplify our impact
- We set the standards of pediatric healthcare today, and innovate for the future
- We are accountable for making the highest quality care accessible and affordable