Mgr - Trauma Services
Posting Note: PCH is currently hiring for a Manager of our Trauma Services unit. In this unique role, the incumbent will be managing a team of 12 - 15 registered nurses, and small team of researchers. This role will be managing multiple projects involving education, research and quality. The ideal candidate will have a min of 3 to 5 years managing a trauma team in a project environment; must have outstanding organization, and problem-solving skills and be adaptable to change. PCH is one of the top 5 pediatric trauma hospitals in the country. This role will manage approximately 40 different projects at any one time, from a variety of different disciplines. The primary role for this manager will be to manage the staff to ensure all projects are on target for completion, manage customer expectations, and to remove any roadblocks for the team to accomplish the end goal.
Responsible for the management and organization of the trauma program and trauma services at Phoenix Children`s Hopsital. The Manager, Trauma Services promotes the delivery of quality trauma care through clinical practice, consultation, education, collaboration, leadership and research. Assumes accountability for coordinating the functions within the Trauma program which includes: program planning and development, clinical practice/ system coordination, developing and managing the operational budget, supervising personnel working within the Trauma Department, providing direction for those functioning as trauma team responders, overseeing the Trauma Quality Improvement activities, providing education to the multidisciplinary personnel involved in trauma care both within Phoenix Children`s Hospital and other other outside agencies while maintaining compliance with all state and national guidelines for Level I trauma center verification.
Coordinates, implements and evaluates trauma services as well as system elements essential for an organizational multi-disciplinary team approach for the care of injured children.
- Responsible for compliance with relevant state and national standards and regulations for Level I Trauma Center status for optimal care of the Injured Patient. Coordinates the trauma verification process by the American College of Surgeons preparing staff and facility for Trauma Center Site Reviews.
- Coordinates trauma care management across the continuum, including ensuring the development and achievement of goals and objectives of the pediatric trauma service; planning, implementation, evaluation and revision of policies/clinical protocols/practice management guidelines and monitoring care that meets patient's physical, psychosocial, educational and safety needs.
- Participates in the development of trauma care systems at the community, state, and national level maintaining current knowledge of EMS regulations, changing technology and standards of care/practice in specialty area.
- Serves as Trauma Services clinical practice/system resource coordinating trauma services interdepartmental and intradepartmental.
- Collaborates with administration, physicians, nursing and ancillary departments to develop, implement, and monitor long-range strategic plan/departmental goals and objectives. Serves as a liaison to administration representing the trauma program.
- Manages the collection of data and maintenance of accurate statistical information for the computerized Trauma Registry system. Maintains the integrity of the registry and its information. Reports to all appropriate agencies as required by law. Develops reports as requested by authorized personnel and regulatory agencies.
- Serves as the primary liaison for physician services, medical students, APRNs, nursing/allied PCH staff, EMS, community agencies and organizations to promote efficient, organized management of care of injured children.
Develops Trauma specific education efforts.
- Provides leadership and opportunities for the professional education efforts of the trauma program. This includes education of nurses, physicians, paramedics and others involved in trauma care.
- Assumes responsibility for the initial education and continuing education of all members of the Trauma Team at Phoenix Children's Hospital. Maintains course director status for the Trauma Nursing Core Course. Facilitates courses for initial providers and those nurses requiring re-verification. Monitors trauma team nurses for compliance with continuing education standards.
- Monitors physician compliance for maintaining Advanced Trauma Life Support and required trauma education CME’s.
- Initiates and participates in outreach activities and educational projects that promote the Pediatric Trauma Service to health care professionals and the community. Is actively involved in local and state activities to effect change related to improved trauma care and prevention efforts.
- Serves on organizational committees, both internal and external, to represent the mission and goals of the Trauma Services, promoting quality patient care.
- Represents Phoenix Children's Hospital on the local, state and national level regarding trauma issues attending and presenting trauma-related educational offerings to obtain/distribute current information to further develop the level of care delivered to injured children. Assumes a proactive role in the community concerning injury prevention through public activities and public education opportunities.
Provides Fiscal Management
- Prepares and manages the operating budget demonstrating prudent resource utilization and effective collaboration with the accounting and billing departments to monitor account revenue and expenses.
- Maintains current knowledge of legislative and regulatory activities that impact reimbursement for clinical services and professional activities.
- Assumes a leadership role in the Trauma Quality Performance Improvement program in collaboration with the Trauma medical director continually striving to improve patient outcomes, processes and services for the trauma patients served at Phoenix Children's Hospital.
- Reviews and disseminates evidence based practice/research in order to improve clinical practice related to trauma care. Collaborates in the development and implementation of research and/or quality implementation activities.
- Collaborates with the Trauma Medical Director in coordinating trauma M & M conferences and Multidisciplinary Trauma Conferences.
- As requested, reports to the Hospital’s Peer Review and Quality Improvement Monitoring Committees regarding trauma service activity providing monthly and quarterly trauma service reports to include statistics and information regarding the trauma service.
- Participates in regional and statewide trauma improvement committees as requested.
- Supervises the following roles: Trauma Coordinator, Trauma Registrars, Trauma Outreach Coordinator, Trauma Administrative Assistant and Trauma Research Assistant and Research Scientist. Assures proper distribution of workload, and accuracy and completeness of work. Assigns other responsibilities as needed.
- Delegates special projects and committee assignments.
- Assesses employee job satisfaction.
- Maintains files and documents in compliance with regulatory standards.
- Performs miscellaneous job related duties as requested.
Phoenix Children's Mission, Vision, & Values
To advance hope, healing and the best healthcare for children and their familiesVision
Phoenix Children's will be the leading pediatric health system in the Southwest, nationally recognized for exceptional care, innovative research and advanced medical education.
We realize this vision by:
- Offering the most comprehensive care across ages, communities and specialties
- Investing in innovative research, including emerging treatments, tools and technologies
- Advancing education and training to shape the next generation of clinical leaders
- Advocating for the health and well-being of children and families
- We place children and families at the center of all we do
- We deliver exceptional care, every day and in every way
- We collaborate with colleagues, partners and communities to amplify our impact
- We set the standards of pediatric healthcare today, and innovate for the future
- We are accountable for making the highest quality care accessible and affordable