This position provides administrative direction for Medical Staff Services and to the medical staff organization. Responsible for department operations, budgeting, planning and coordination of information flow between other departments/services performing quality improvement functions to assure consistency, communication and efficiency. This position maintains responsibility for monitoring all applicable regulatory laws and statutes (state and federal) and accreditation standards, as well as the Medical Staff Bylaws, rules and regulations, and the policies of Phoenix Children's Hospital for compliance by the medical staff organization. The Director of Medical Staff Services reports to the Chief Medical Officer.
- Family-Centered care that focuses on the need of the child first and values the family as an important member of the care team
- Excellence in clinical care, service and communication
- Collaborative within our institution and with others who share our mission and goals
- Leadership that set the standard for pediatric health care today and innovations of the future
- Accountability to our patients, community and each other for providing the best in the most cost-effective way.
Principal resource for compliance with internal and external standards, including accrediting and regulatory agencies, as they apply to the medical staff organization.
- Provides management support to the medical staff organization and it functions and maintains responsibility for monitoring all applicable regulatory laws and statutes (state and federal) and accreditation standards as well as departmental policies for compliance by the medical staff organization.
- Monitors medical staff actions for adherence to medical staff bylaws, applicable law, state and federal regulations, and DNV or The Joint Commission requirements. Noncompliance is communicated to the President of the Medical Staff and the Chief Medical Officer.
- Demonstrates accurate knowledge of external accrediting standards as well as state and federal regulatory requirements.
- Provides the medical staff with appropriate interpretation of standards/requirements.
- Works closely with the medical staff to trouble-shoot problems and gather input for improvement.
- Coordinates and participates in development and revision of documents to ensure compliance.
- Maintains all required medical staff organization documents.
Serves as the liaison between the Medical Staff organization and hospital administration, providing professional assistance to both entities and serving as a resource to other hospital departments. Assures excellent customer service by the Medical Staff Services Department.
- Provides guidance to the CMO, medical staff leadership, and other members of the medical staff in carrying out their administrative functions for the provision of excellent clinical care throughout the organization.
- Maintains excellent communication with administration and other relevant departments.
- Assists medical staff members when requested and provides necessary reports to medical staff, administration, and other departments as required.
Manages the provider credentialing process for identified segment of health plan credentialing needs.
- Provides oversight and coordination of audit, reporting, and assures quality and timeliness of outcomes.
- Manages appropriate and timely assessment of appointments and reappointments to the Medical Staff and Allied Health Practitioner Staff, delineation of clinical privileges, and associated credentialing functions.
- Directs Medical Staff Services and ensures adequate staff, training/orientation, equipment and space. Assists the medical staff leadership with achieving its objective to maintain quality and improve performance. Participates in the development of strategic plans and goals of the Medical Staff and assists in the implementation of such plans and programs.
Manages daily activities of the Medical Staff Services Department.
- Creates and maintains a positive work environment by being responsible for all aspects of personnel management from recruitment, staff development, create job performance standards, conduct performance evaluations, evaluate workload, promote optimal productivity, identify/provide excellent customer service, resolve staffing issues, counsel personnel and following the process for disciplinary action when warranted.
- Responsible for the development and monitoring of the annual budget for the Medical Staff as well as the Medical Staff Services Department.
- Maintains contact with legal counsel and risk management regarding medical-legal matters. Controls dissemination of all communication between the hospital, medical staff leadership and/or hospital departments to the medical staff members related to department responsibility or quality improvement.
Manages the essential medical staff committee structure in conjunction with the medical staff leadership.
- Ensures support of department and committee meetings by the Medical Staff Services Department staff.
- Attends and supports the Medical Executive Committee meetings and other committees as appropriate.
- Coordinates special Medical Staff events such as Leadership Conferences, New Committee Orientation, and other events as directed by the President of the Medical Staff.
- Maintains and collaborates with the Department of Quality Management regarding issues related to Medical Staff Services.
- Performs miscellaneous job related duties as requested.