This position, under the supervision of a pharmacist, assists in the procurement, storage, preparation, distribution, and delivery of medications, information, and other pharmaceutical products to Phoenix Children’s patients. Duties are performed in accordance with all applicable Arizona Board of Pharmacy statutes and rules, and department policies, and procedures. This position serves as the coordinator and primary point of contact for the Prescription Discharge Delivery Service program. This position reports directly to the Outpatient Pharmacy Manager. This position also receives supervision from Clinical Pharmacists, Lead Pharmacists and/or Lead Pharmacy Technicians.
- Family-Centered care that focuses on the need of the child first and values the family as an important member of the care team
- Excellence in clinical care, service and communication
- Collaborative within our institution and with others who share our mission and goals
- Leadership that set the standard for pediatric health care today and innovations of the future
- Accountability to our patients, community and each other for providing the best in the most cost-effective way.
- Assists in accurately preparing and labeling medications in accordance with Arizona Board of Pharmacy regulations and department policy. Defers to pharmacist when appropriate.
- Prepares medications and verifies accuracy under the supervision of a pharmacist prior to dispensing in accordance with scope of practice and department procedure.
Utilizes Pharmacy Management Software
- Utilizes pharmacy information software to process prescriptions and maintain patient records, ensuring that all information is accurate and complete.
- Processes insurance claims, bills medications, credits accounts when appropriate and collects copayments to ensure accurate and timely revenue capture and billing integrity.
Customer Service Support
- Serves as the primary contact for customer service support for the Pharmacy Prescription Discharge Delivery Service by answering telephones appropriately and provides direct service to hospital staff and external customers in patient care areas and at the pharmacy service counter when needed. Operates Point of Sale system.
- Actively triages telephone calls and Vocera messages in a timely manner and defers calls and questions to a pharmacist when issue is outside of scope of practice.
- Exhibits PCH Values of excellence in clinical care, service, and communication at all times. Proactively solves customer service issues independently when appropriate.
Prescription Discharge Delivery Service
- Serves as the coordinator and primary point of contact for patients/LAR’s, the patient care team and pharmacy staff.
- Coordinates with LIP’s and Nurse Case Managers to identify patients eligible for discharge.
- Provides information to patients/LAR’s and the patient care team about the availability and benefits of the program.
- Reviews prescriptions for accuracy and completeness prior to sending to pharmacy for processing.
- Prioritizes prescription processing to coordinate with planned discharge times and, identifies and communicates potential factors that might result in delays in processing.
- Securely delivers prescription orders to the patient/LAR, assesses patient payment obligations and collects copayments as required.
- Coordinates pharmacist medication consultation with patient/LAR.
- Assists in maintaining established inventory levels of medications and supplies.
- Assists with receipt and stocking of medications and supplies from designated vendors and PCH Supply Chain.
- Rotates pharmacy inventory to ensure oldest stock is utilized first and all expired supplies and medications are removed prior to stated expiration date.
- Completes and documents various quality assurance measures and checklists including, but not limited to; cleaning logs, equipment maintenance, inventory management logs and any other record keeping tools as required.
- Follows all department and hospital environment of care and waste control for pharmaceutical and non-pharmaceutical waste in accordance with established standards, procedures, and regulatory requirements.
- Participates in a variety of department process improvement initiatives, in-service programs, and meetings to maintain ongoing awareness of best practices, methods, and techniques.
- Utilizes departmental training to serve as a trainer for new staff as requested.
- May be asked to complete department relevant continuing education.
- Performs miscellaneous job related duties as requested.