This is a patient/customer service-oriented position which is responsible for timely and accurate patient scheduling, specimen collection, and ordering to ensure timely and accurate results. The position requires knowledge and experience with venipuncture techniques to successfully acquire blood with minimal adverse impact to pediatric patients. A knowledge of electronic health record and laboratory information systems to manage patient specimen orders and submissions is required. This position reports to the Supervisor, Pre-Analytics.
- Family-Centered care that focuses on the need of the child first and values the family as an important member of the care team
- Excellence in clinical care, service and communication
- Collaborative within our institution and with others who share our mission and goals
- Leadership that set the standard for pediatric health care today and innovations of the future
- Accountability to our patients, community and each other for providing the best in the most cost-effective way.
- Accurately schedules patients for specimen collections as necessary for laboratory testing orders. Collects specimens (blood, sweat, saliva, etc.) as necessary to facilitate patient testing.
- Demonstrates knowledge and competency using the Laboratory Information System to accurately receive specimens, and order tests as indicated on the requisition. Data must be complete and accurately entered to include appropriate test name, footnotes, comments, order priorities, physician names, patient location, collection information, etc. Demonstrates competency in choosing the correct patient account to use for ordering tests.
- Demonstrates knowledge of reference laboratories utilized by the department and chooses appropriate reference laboratory for the testing ordered. Maintains thorough and complete documentation of work performed. Provides required information on all requisitions, lab orders, or worksheets handled. Files requisitions, reports, and other pathology/laboratory materials.
- Maintains positive working relationship with the medical staff and hospital personnel. Uses positive interpersonal skills to educate/support lab customers and promote success of team members. Uses clear and concise verbal and written communication with staff and the public. Acts independently on supervisor’s direction and accepts responsibility of the adopted policies and procedures of the hospital and the laboratory. Works different shifts as required.
- Under the supervision of the department supervisor, ensures areas of responsibility are maintained in accreditation with CAP, CMS and CLIA.
- Performs miscellaneous job related duties as requested.