Technical Specialist - Lab
Posting Note: This is an onsite full time, salaried position. This position works closely with PhD Chemist Section Director to lead the design, development, optimization, validation and delivery of integrated mass spectrometry-based high throughput clinical testing. Duties include training, competency assessments, policy/procedure reviews, quality assurance, equipment maintenance, compliance/accreditation, and inventory management. Phoenix Children's has a great work culture and growing! We are looking for an individual who are willing to lead and inspire in one of the largest children’s hospital in the country. Minimum requirements • Bachelor’s degree in Medical Laboratory Science or related field or combination of education and experience • Medical Laboratory Scientist (MLS) or Technologist in Chemistry (C) ASCP Certification or equivalent or eligible to obtain within one year of employment • A minimum of 2 years of experience performing LC-MS testing in clinical laboratory setting • LC-MS assay development and validation – Preferred • Hemoglobin electrophoresis testing – Preferred
This position works collaboratively with Section Supervisor, Section Director, and Manager to provide technical supervision for assigned staff to ensure high quality daily technical operations. Achieves and complies with established operating budget, quality control, inventory management and regulatory standards. This position receives managerial review of completed work activities from the Section Supervisor.
- Develops and maintains policies and guidelines; employs policies and procedures, regulatory guidelines, and professional standards to validate current practice requirements and support of overall organizational values and mission.
- Ensures adherence to departmental operating and capital budgets.
- Maintains professional and technical competency in all aspects of laboratory technology through constantly pursuing knowledge and self-improvement and remaining apprised of current trends, developments and awareness of latest technology and practices to improve outcomes.
- Participates in hospital and department operational and quality improvement initiatives; proactively evaluates systems, practices; assists, creates and implements changes to increase and enhance the effectiveness of the operations. Also, participates in organizational committees as pertinent.
- Performs patient testing, quality control testing, and instrument maintenance procedures to ensure ongoing compliance with policies, regulations, and safety guidelines for safe work practices.
- Oversees daily technical operations of laboratory section by monitoring quality and effectiveness of work flow, problem resolution and troubleshooting issues, and/or processes to ensure optimum efficiency and compliance with all regulatory and licensing requirements.
- Oversees work activities of staff to ensure achievement of established goals, objectives and outcomes; provides guidance, mentoring and direction as appropriate for ongoing staff development.
- Performs miscellaneous job related duties as requested.
Phoenix Children's Mission, Vision, & Values
To advance hope, healing and the best healthcare for children and their familiesVision
Phoenix Children's will be the leading pediatric health system in the Southwest, nationally recognized for exceptional care, innovative research and advanced medical education.
We realize this vision by:
- Offering the most comprehensive care across ages, communities and specialties
- Investing in innovative research, including emerging treatments, tools and technologies
- Advancing education and training to shape the next generation of clinical leaders
- Advocating for the health and well-being of children and families
- We place children and families at the center of all we do
- We deliver exceptional care, every day and in every way
- We collaborate with colleagues, partners and communities to amplify our impact
- We set the standards of pediatric healthcare today, and innovate for the future
- We are accountable for making the highest quality care accessible and affordable