This position operates the Heart/Lung Bypass machine and other ancillary technologies during surgical procedures requiring cardiopulmonary bypass (CPB) to support the cardiorespiratory function of patients during cardiothoracic surgery.
- Operates the Heart/Lung Bypass machine during surgical procedures requiring cardiopulmonary bypass to support the cardiorespiratory function of patients during cardiothoracic surgery. Selects appropriate equipment and techniques in accordance with the Policy and Procedure for Perfusion Services. Provides optimal physiologic management of patients by monitoring the necessary quality indicators while on CPB, including arterial/venous blood gas analysis, venous saturation, cerebral/splanchnic oximetric analysis, clinical laboratory data, cardiac index, anticoagulation, and vital organ function.
- Uses clinical and technical expertise to help select and manage the appropriate MCAD (Mechanical Circulatory Assist Device) for each patient and integrates knowledge of advanced pathophysiology to assess, plan and coordinate care for each patient on MCADs. Supports implantation and prolonged management of Ventricular Assist Devices (VADs), including the Berlin Heart Excor VAD, Total Artificial Heart and other paracorporeal VAD systems, in addition to extracorporeal life support (ECLS).
- Works with cardiothoracic surgery service to monitor patient outcomes and collect clinical data as required. Participates in cardiothoracic and anesthesia research.
- Assists cardiothoracic surgeons with surgical procedures, as needed and aseptically prepares all extracorporeal support devices prior to surgical implantation.
- Performs miscellaneous job related duties as requested.
Phoenix Children's Mission, Vision, & Values
To advance hope, healing and the best healthcare for children and their familiesVision
Phoenix Children's will be the leading pediatric health system in the Southwest, nationally recognized for exceptional care, innovative research and advanced medical education.
We realize this vision by:
- Offering the most comprehensive care across ages, communities and specialties
- Investing in innovative research, including emerging treatments, tools and technologies
- Advancing education and training to shape the next generation of clinical leaders
- Advocating for the health and well-being of children and families
- We place children and families at the center of all we do
- We deliver exceptional care, every day and in every way
- We collaborate with colleagues, partners and communities to amplify our impact
- We set the standards of pediatric healthcare today, and innovate for the future
- We are accountable for making the highest quality care accessible and affordable