Communications Center Agent
Posting Note: *This is a PRN (as needed) position
This position is the 24/7 physician answering service and operator for Phoenix Children’s Hospital. This critical service connects both internal and external callers with providers by following electronic schedules and protocol for a given scenario. Triages code and emergency calls, including internal 911 calls, then notifies the appropriate responders using various technologies such as phone, SMS, secure message, and public address systems. Additionally, this position provides routine information by phone and electronic chat, hospital directory assistance, transfers calls to the appropriate location, provides basic after-hour help desk support, and dispatches patient transport requests.
Provides outstanding customer service as answering service for our medical providers and specialty offices.
- Answers telephone calls forwarded to the answering service from medical provider and specialty offices as well as various internal support departments within 6 rings 98% of the time. Completes screening questions, document patient demographics, and caller’s contact information in the electronic systems. Reads the electronic schedule and locates the correct provider to receive the message based on condition, time of day, and escalation time frames. Determines the appropriate method of contacting each provider based on need and protocol. Completes follow-up for undelivered messages and escalates according to individual account escalation instructions 95% of the time. Keeps provider contact numbers updated for the answering service use by taking necessary steps to communicate temporary changes and updates databases for long term changes.
Provides general hospital operator services which includes electronic chat, telephone and paging services.
- Communicates general information to include directions, available hospital services, call routing, staff directory assistance, patient directory assistance, accepted insurance plans, and routing to specialty based on illness or suspected diagnosis.
Completes dispatching duties by monitoring electronic transport systems, and assigns transport requests based on location and priority.
- Responsible for communicating with nursing departments, diagnostic testing departments, and the Pre-op/PACU areas to achieve timely movement of patients. Continually monitors requests and transporters to ensure accurate time keeping of requests and efficient workflow.
Responsible for communicating the Code, Emergency and Disaster services within the hospital.
- Answers the code line, internal 911, and other emergency lines within three rings 100% of the time. Notifies the appropriate responders using various technologies such as phone, SMS, secure message, and public address systems. Accurately dispatches and announces codes 99% of the time using established scripting and protocol.
Maintains regulatory compliance
- Utilizes internal policy and procedures that relate to the call center answering service, and the handling of confidential patient information according to HIPAA.
Maintains knowledge to operate office equipment that relates to the call center answering service.
- Maintains knowledge of fax, printer, pc, monitors, headsets, phones, pagers, and public address systems. Remains familiar with local, national, and international dialing patterns.
- Performs miscellaneous job related duties as requested.
Phoenix Children's Mission, Vision, & Values
To advance hope, healing and the best healthcare for children and their familiesVision
Phoenix Children's will be the leading pediatric health system in the Southwest, nationally recognized for exceptional care, innovative research and advanced medical education.
We realize this vision by:
- Offering the most comprehensive care across ages, communities and specialties
- Investing in innovative research, including emerging treatments, tools and technologies
- Advancing education and training to shape the next generation of clinical leaders
- Advocating for the health and well-being of children and families
- We place children and families at the center of all we do
- We deliver exceptional care, every day and in every way
- We collaborate with colleagues, partners and communities to amplify our impact
- We set the standards of pediatric healthcare today, and innovate for the future
- We are accountable for making the highest quality care accessible and affordable