The Director, Hospital Business Office directs the management of the hospital back-end revenue cycle functions including billing and insurance follow up with centralized cash posting and correspondence for hospital and physician practices. This position establishes and maintains standards, systems and processes that are effective, while addressing identified needs and ensuring the achievement of established financial and non-financial goals in support of the mission, goals and objectives of the Phoenix Children`s Hospital Enterprise.
- Family-Centered care that focuses on the need of the child first and values the family as an important member of the care team
- Excellence in clinical care, service and communication
- Collaborative within our institution and with others who share our mission and goals
- Leadership that set the standard for pediatric health care today and innovations of the future
- Accountability to our patients, community and each other for providing the best in the most cost-effective way.
Provides leadership to the departments within Hospital Business Office
- Reporting to the Vice President, Revenue Cycle, develops strategy related to areas of responsibility and participates in strategy development for the entire revenue cycle. Develops and implements policies and procedures. Develops Key Performance Indicators and actively utilizes qualitative and quantitative performance metrics to drive achievement of targeted financial and non-financial goals.
- Directs, manages and evaluates effectiveness and efficiency of all assigned operations, including, but not limited to hospital billing, insurance follow up, centralized cash posting and correspondence, and establishing controls and mechanisms for all associated procedures.
Identifies and manages strategic and improvement initiatives impacting Hospital Business Office
- Develops clear business plans and project plans as required to improve existing operations and to accommodate growth and additional services. Effectively manages projects to ensure timely achievement of objectives.
- Manages and evaluates the effectiveness of assigned systems and recommends improvements to ensure timeliness and accuracy of billing, collections and cash posting processes, including effective use of staff time and resources for all associated functions. Identifies issues and focuses on timely implementation of appropriate corrective measures and procedures.
Performs organizational and administrative duties necessary to ensure the smooth operations of Hospital Business Office
- Manages the budget process and actively manages adherence to budget for assigned areas, demonstrating strong understanding of metrics driving staffing, position control and levers to ensure/improve budget performance.
- Monitors financial and operational reports to identify and improve results, trends, and outcomes. Utilizes data to articulate reasons for results, develops appropriate action plans to modify results in accordance with required outcomes and communicates results and plans appropriately within the organization. Collaborates with analytics team to develop applicable ad-hoc reporting needed to support the Hospital Business Office.
- Oversees the overall performance of patient accounting systems and related automated applications and makes recommendations as needed to improve the functionality of the systems. Evaluates new technology to enhance the patient accounting processes.
- Manages relationships with outside vendors working on behalf of Hospital Business Office, monitoring and sharing performance reporting, managing budget and invoice approval.
- Ensures processes are compliant with regulatory requirements.
Demonstrates exceptional customer service, builds teamwork within Hospital Business Office and with other departments
- Builds and maintains excellent relationships within and outside the organization through a proactive customer service-oriented approach. Resolves issues between parties, and refers major issues and provides feedback, analysis and insight to the Vice President, Revenue Cycle.
- Provides leadership to Hospital Business Office staff to ensure an understanding of their role in delivering an excellent patient experience and to achieve desired outcomes and goals.
- Collaborates closely with Managed Care, Revenue Integrity, Family Finance, Case Management, Social Work, HIM, IT, Finance, Data Analytics, and PCMG. Collaborates with key business partners and teams to solve complex, interdepartmental issues.
Develops team members to perform at their highest level
- Develops and manages staff through the provision of timely feedback and use of appropriate Human Resources policies and tools to facilitate and ensure the ability of staff to achieve the highest level of professional growth and desired performance standards.
- Makes growth and development a priority by facilitating the accurate assessment of learning needs, styles and barriers to training of staff and coordinating training opportunities in conjunction with Training Coordinators and education staff.
- Develops a strong collaborative culture, serving as the foundation for staff growth and retention. Actively monitors and manages retention/turnover rates, developing and implementing plans to retain critical team members.
- Performs miscellaneous job related duties as requested.