Posting Note: The Center for Cancer and Blood Disorders at Phoenix Children’s seeks a full time, board-certified or board-eligible pediatric hematologist/oncologist. The candidate will be joining our vibrant and growing division as an attending oncology hospitalist in the Section of Oncology Hospitalist Medicine. Our pediatric oncology hospitalists cover daytime and overnight hospitalist shifts and perform procedures for inpatients. Staff members are actively involved in clinical, research and educational projects. Academic appointments are through the University of Arizona-College of Medicine Phoenix, Mayo Clinic Arizona, and Creighton University. Position Summary and General Responsibilities: Primary daytime clinical responsibilities include overseeing medical management of patients admitted for chemotherapy administration alongside a comprehensive team consisting of advance practice providers, dietician, and a chemotherapy pharmacist. The hospitalist will also perform routine procedures, such as bone marrow aspirates, biopsies, and lumbar punctures. During overnight rotations, our hospitalist attendings care for all patients admitted to the inpatient services (hematology, oncology, chemotherapy, BMT), addressing all patient care questions and clinical concerns, including new admissions, transfers, and urgent consults. Our hospitalists oversee and staff pediatric residents for all admitted patients and new admissions. The hospitalist will be available for clinical instruction and discussion with resident and fellow trainees as well as inpatient nursing staff. About Our Program: The Center for Cancer and Blood Disorders at Phoenix Children’s Hospital sees on average over 370 new oncology patients per year and has additional active clinical and laboratory research programs in oncology, neuro-oncology, survivorship, hemophilia, and phase I/phase II investigational drug development. Our ACGME approved fellowship program in pediatric hematology/oncology is approved for 3 fellows/year and has affiliations with the Mayo Clinic, the Arizona Cancer Center, and the University of Arizona. CCBD is a designated Center of Excellence at Phoenix Children’s Hospital, with two satellite locations, 24 attending physicians, 9 fellows, 15 advanced practice providers and large dedicated support staff including social workers, nutritionists, child life specialists, psychologist, and mental health therapists. PCH is one of the largest free-standing pediatric hospitals in the nation with 457 licensed beds. We are a comprehensive tertiary and quaternary care center that also serves as a primary pediatric teaching facility for medical students from the University of Arizona, Mayo Clinic Alix School of Medicine and Creighton University.
The staff physician shall provide patient care services and will support the PCH mission of providing hope, healing and the best health care for children and their families.
- Family-Centered care that focuses on the need of the child first and values the family as an important member of the care team
- Excellence in clinical care, service and communication
- Collaborative within our institution and with others who share our mission and goals
- Leadership that set the standard for pediatric health care today and innovations of the future
- Accountability to our patients, community and each other for providing the best in the most cost-effective way.
Patient Care Services
- 1)Provide patient care services for which he/she is clinically privileged, including but not limited to:
- a)Provide direct patient care services on an inpatient and outpatient basis
- b)Provide subspecialty consultations and follow-up.
- c)Provide diagnostic and therapeutic services/procedures
- d)Provide these services for urgent/ emergent care as necessary
- 2)Strive to achieve the best patient and family centered care
- 3)Support Hospital’s patient satisfaction goals as well as division’s specific targets
- 4)Support and adhere to divisional patient safety and quality of care standards
- 5)Practices Contemporary Evidence based medicine or latest experience based medicine
- 1)Establish and demonstrate effort to achieve annual physician goals and objectives (e.g. individual, division, hospital)
- 2)Support the medical education programs and activities of the Division, including but not limited to:
- a)Provide direct supervision of trainees and allied health care professionals for the delivery of inpatient and outpatient services when applicable
- b)Conduct teaching rounds, lectures and conference for trainees
- c)Participate in the teaching and supervision of trainees and allied health care professionals assigned to the division
- d)Participate in the postgraduate continuing educational activities of the division
- 3)Support the research endeavors of the division including the research initiatives by other members of the division
- 4)Support programmatic growth of division
- 5)Support satellite efforts of division when appropriate
- 1)Treat colleagues, PCH employees and customers with courtesy, dignity and respect
- 2)Promote safe, cooperative and professional health care environment
- 3)Support PCH mission, vision and values, including family centered care, excellence in clinical care, leadership, collaboration, and accountability
- 1)Physician shall support the Division Chief in his/her role as liaison to the professional community and general public as requested by the Division Chief
- 2)Physician may conduct teaching rounds or conferences outside of PCH, particularly if these activities support divisional clinical and teaching programs/ initiatives.
- 3)Physician shall represent PCH in the medical and business communities and before the general public in a professional manner
- 4)The following physical and mental skills are essential to the physician’s ability to successfully perform the foregoing duties and responsibilities:
- a)The ability to communicate by telephone, computer or other communication devices
- b)The ability to perform after hours or night call responsibilities as needed
- c)The ability to work regularly scheduled work hours
- Performs miscellaneous job related duties as requested.