The Inpatient Pharmacy Operations Supervisor is responsible for supervising the daily operations of the Phoenix Children’s Hospital Inpatient Pharmacy. This individual oversees the inpatient pharmacy technicians, lead pharmacy technicians, and pharmacy interns while providing support for pharmacists working within the PCH Central Pharmacy. This role is responsible for the development and optimization of pharmacy operations, scheduling, and staffing initiatives to enhance patient care. The Inpatient Pharmacy Operations Supervisor reports directly to the PCH Director of Inpatient Pharmacy.
- Family-Centered care that focuses on the need of the child first and values the family as an important member of the care team
- Excellence in clinical care, service and communication
- Collaborative within our institution and with others who share our mission and goals
- Leadership that set the standard for pediatric health care today and innovations of the future
- Accountability to our patients, community and each other for providing the best in the most cost-effective way.
Leads daily inpatient pharmacy operations to maintain department quality control, regulatory compliance, safe medication management, and adherence with hospital and pharmacy department policies.
- Participates with survey readiness and serves on committees as required.
- Maintains records and oversees staff activity related to regulatory compliance.
- Creation and maintenance of hospital and departmental pharmacy policies and procedures.
Assists department leadership with developing, assessing, and implementing processes.
- Effectively leads and manages projects to completion.
- Develop standard operating procedures and workflows.
- Promote and lead change to improve processes.
- Collect and analyze data to identify improvements and implement changes.
Supervises and coordinates daily technician activities in the inpatient pharmacy, manages pharmacy operations technology, and ensure appropriate staffing levels.
- Assures that daily patient care tasks are completed prior to shift ending.
- Leads daily or as required staff huddles and shift hand off.
- Completes and manages technician schedule including requests for time off to ensue appropriately staffed to meet patient care needs.
- Maintain appropriate inventory and functionality of automated dispensing technology in conjunction with pharmacy informatics.
Direct management of technician staff including hiring, competency assessment, and evaluations.
- Conducts technician staff performance evaluations. Prepares and delivers Performance Improvement Plans (PIP).
- Assist with technician hiring including screening, scheduling interviews, pre-hire correspondence and on boarding.
- Develop and implement programs that support employee engagement.
- Create and maintain technician job duties.
Actively participate in departmental education activities. Responsible for education, training, and orientation of technicians and interns.
- Ensure training requirements have been met and documented in a timely manner.
- Create and implement programs to educate and develop staff.
Staff in pharmacist roles approximately 50% of the time. Demonstrates and maintains competency with pharmacy information systems in addition to leadership functions.
- Maintains competencies in pharmacist roles.
- Completes all department and hospital mandatory competencies as required.
- Functions in a daily staff role as required.
- Provide oversight of order entry, dispensing, distribution, and medication verification.
Build and strengthen relationships within the pharmacy department and hospital to provide quality patient care.
- Promptly and politely answer phone calls.
- Respond promptly and professionally to colleague concerns, questions, and requests.
- Effectively communicate problems, patient needs, and pertinent information.Work collaboratively with pharmacy and hospital colleagues.
Demonstrates and maintains a current knowledge of best practice hospital pharmacy operations and industry benchmarks.
- Provides and coordinates periodic staff education and inservices.
- Actively involved with national and local pharmacy education.
Assists in the development, implementation, and evaluation of departments financial goals.
- Actively contributes to meeting cost savings and expense reduction goals.
- Actively involved with formulary management.Develops individual goals to align with organizational targets.
- Performs miscellaneous job related duties as requested.