This position coordinates the patient care services, workflow, and activities provided by nursing and support staff of assigned program. This position provides guidance, support, and direction to staff to ensure consistent provision of developmentally appropriate quality patient care in accordance with all applicable federal, regulatory, and professional standards and requirements.
- Family-Centered care that focuses on the need of the child first and values the family as an important member of the care team
- Excellence in clinical care, service and communication
- Collaborative within our institution and with others who share our mission and goals
- Leadership that set the standard for pediatric health care today and innovations of the future
- Accountability to our patients, community and each other for providing the best in the most cost-effective way.
Acts as a communication liaison between patient, family, and interdisciplinary team by providing teaching and support to recognize limitations and strengths within the patient/family system.
- Attend rounds with team.
- Consistent patient educator.
Assists with identification of staff and community learning needs from a group and individual perspective. Provides staff and community education on new skills, equipment, policies, protocols, and/or guidelines.
- Point of contact for families during hospitalization - someone to feel comfortable asking questions, reaching out etc.
- Familiarize family with hospital, inpatient, outpatient clinic during hospitalization.
- Provide binder with all CCBD information, contact numbers, frequent questions, what to do if? scenarios.
- Identifies and acts upon potential risks, investigates and documents follow-up on significant incidents, and involves appropriate resource(s) to ensure timely resolution and implementation of corrective measures in accordance with professional, regulatory, and governmental agencies and standards.
- Maintains appropriate records to facilitate accurate data collection and prepares required grant reports.
Manages the daily operations of a program. Ensures inpatient team and program effectiveness. Develops, implements, and monitors plans for ensuring the highest quality of care.
- Work along with case management to assure home health care is arranged, medication approval, insurance etc ensure discharge home medications are in hand for day of discharge, education with retail pharmacy (provide pill box, written sheet with AM and PM medications).
- Coordinates and supervises parents nesting prior to discharge.
- Call family 72 hrs after discharge to assure there are no questions and follow up on any pending issues, questions etc.
- Bedside handover with the outpatient nurse program coordinator (solid tumor, blood malignancies, brain tumor).
- Assure Social Worker, School Intervention have follow - up scheduled with families.
Provides developmentally appropriate clinical care within professional domain to ensure delivery of quality and developmentally appropriate patient care.
- Able to review hematology and oncology treatment road maps and anticipate patient needs.
- Seeks to improve patient satisfaction.
- Ensures care across the continuum, inpatient and outpatient settings.
- Regularly reviews research-based literature to improve clinical care for specific clinical populations as well as compliance with regulatory bodies.
- Serves as a clinical role model, patient advocate, and resource to staff, patients, and families. Shares knowledge and skills of specialty area to assist problem solve collaboratively. Maintains skill and knowledge proficiency and competency within specialty area.
Works collaboratively with unit leadership to provide guidance and direction to staff by taking an active role in planning, decision-making, and communication to health care team of issues affecting the interdisciplinary team and integration of patient care activities.
- Manages patient calendar: one for scheduled multidisciplinary appointments and readmits and one for treatment/chemo course and clinic appointments to be provided to the family prior to discharge from initial diagnosis admission.
- Performs miscellaneous job related duties as requested.