This is an entry level position for individuals participating in a Pharmacy Technician Education Program. Upon completion of the education program and successful Pharmacy Technician Certification Board (PTCB) examination, the Technician-in-Training will be promoted into the role of Pharmacy Technician I. This position, under the direct supervision of a Pharmacist, assists in the procurement, storage, preparation, distribution, delivery of medications & information and other pharmaceutical products to Phoenix Children’s patients in a timely and accurate fashion and in accordance with established regulations and procedures. This position reports directly to the Pharmacy Operations Supervisor.
- Family-Centered care that focuses on the need of the child first and values the family as an important member of the care team
- Excellence in clinical care, service and communication
- Collaborative within our institution and with others who share our mission and goals
- Leadership that set the standard for pediatric health care today and innovations of the future
- Accountability to our patients, community and each other for providing the best in the most cost-effective way.
Preparation and Dispensing Medications
- Assists in accurately preparing and labeling medications in accordance with Board of Pharmacy regulations and department policy. Receives & responds to direction by pharmacists. Prepares medications and verifies accuracy under the supervision of a Pharmacist prior to dispensing in accordance with scope of practice and department procedure.
- Performs non-sterile repackaging of both hazardous and non-hazardous medications per Federal, State, local laws and regulations. Also, adheres to department policies & procedures, USP 795 standards, USP 800 standards, control substance regulations. Accurately completes corresponding record keeping and quality assurance documentation and ensures proper interim steps and final verification is performed by a Pharmacist.
Delivering medications and supplies to patient areas
- Delivers medications and supplies to patient areas per hospital and department timelines, and guidelines. Restocks automated dispensing cabinets and rotates stock and removes expiring medications of both patient specific doses and unit-dosed items available in the patient care areas and medication rooms prior to expiration.
Utilize pharmacy information software
- Utilizes the pharmacy information software to appropriately process pharmacy requisition and medication requests for nursing units, clinics and other hospital departments to ensure timely availability of medications and supplies. Bills medications, and credits when appropriate, to patient charge record to ensure accurate and timely revenue capture.
- Actively performs as the first line for customer service support for the Pharmacy by answering telephones professionally. Provides direct service to hospital staff and external customers who come to the Pharmacy. Actively triages calls in a timely manner and defers calls to Pharmacist when issue is outside normal scope. Exhibits Phoenix Children`s Values of excellence in clinical care, service and communications at all times. Proactively, independently solves customer service issues where appropriate.
- Assists in maintaining inventory levels of medications and supplies. Assists the pharmacy supply chain team with receipt of medications and supplies from designated vendors and Materials Management and stocks inventory accordingly. Rotates pharmacy inventory to ensure oldest stock is utilized first and all expired supplies and medications are removed prior to stated expiration date.
- Accurately completes and documents various quality assurance measures and checklists including, but not limited to; refrigerator temperature logs, nursing unit inspections, inventory management logs and other record keeping tool required during staffing shift. Follows all department and hospital environment of care and waste control for pharmaceutical and non-pharmaceutical waste in accordance with established standards, procedures and regulatory requirements.
- Participates in a variety of department process improvement initiatives, in-service programs, meetings and conferences to maintain ongoing awareness of current practices, methods and techniques. Utilizes departmental training to serve as a trainer for new staff as requested. Completes hospital and department education.
- Performs miscellaneous job related duties as requested.