The Patient Sitter provides constant safety in the patient room at the bedside per policy and maintains constant visual observation of the patient. This position does not leave the patient alone or out of sight unless specifically instructed by the RN.
- Family-Centered care that focuses on the need of the child first and values the family as an important member of the care team
- Excellence in clinical care, service and communication
- Collaborative within our institution and with others who share our mission and goals
- Leadership that set the standard for pediatric health care today and innovations of the future
- Accountability to our patients, community and each other for providing the best in the most cost-effective way.
- Obtains a verbal report from the patient’s nurse to include patient care needs, diagnosis, visual, auditory, or language barriers and any special considerations.
- Positions self in patient room at bedside per policy to maintain constant visual observation of the patient. Stays within arm’s reach as appropriate. Provides constant safety monitoring, may include while the patient is showering and toileting. Never leaves the patient alone or out of sight unless specifically instructed by the RN.
- Maintains an accurate record of patient activity, behaviors, and interventions. Notifies the RN of significant changes.
- Ensures a safe environment, (removing clutter, maintaining ligature resistant standards).
- Engages as appropriate the patient in diversional activities.
- Demonstrates behavior management strategies for de-escalating agitated patients.
- Follows universal precautions whenever giving any aspect of patient observation and surveillance.
- Maintains confidentiality.
- Performs miscellaneous job related duties as requested.