Posting Note: Part-time (24hours weekly) 9:30am-6:00pm (with weekend rotations)
This position plans, coordinates and supervises therapeutic activities of recreation programs to meet the emotional, social and physical health of pediatric patients and their families consistent with established treatment objectives.
- Family-Centered care that focuses on the need of the child first and values the family as an important member of the care team
- Excellence in clinical care, service and communication
- Collaborative within our institution and with others who share our mission and goals
- Leadership that set the standard for pediatric health care today and innovations of the future
- Accountability to our patients, community and each other for providing the best in the most cost-effective way.
Education and Supervision Duties
- Provides ongoing education to further skills, knowledge, and competency for Behavioral Health Technicians in planning and facilitating therapeutic group intervention skills
- Provides annual leadership competency evaluation for Behavioral Health Technicians
- Responsible to interview, train, supervise, and evaluate volunteer candidates
- Develops, supervises, and evaluates TR internship program and TR interns
- Obtains necessary continuing education to maintain national certification
- Ensures completion of BLS, First Aid, Fingerprint clearance, and any other mandatory requirement on or before the due date
Assessment and Implementation of TR Services
- Possess the essential knowledge of the cultural and diagnostic groups served to include symptomatology and prognosis
- Observes patient behavior to assess the physical, social, emotional, cognitive, leisure, and lifestyle functioning
- Identifies and reports pertinent psychological and medical data to the physician and/or nursing staff
- Establishes and maintains a therapeutic relationship with patients and their guardians
- Creates and maintains a safe and therapeutic environment
Provision of Therapeutic Recreation and Behavior Management Interventions
- Plans, prepares, and implements age appropriate daily individualized and group therapeutic recreation activities designed to meet special needs of patients, increase leisure awareness, and enhance development of social skills, self esteem, and recreational skills while promoting independence, success, knowledge, and abilities
- Continually evaluates the appropriateness of the activity schedule
- Develops and implements appropriate community re-entry programs
- Creates community networks to promote therapeutic recreation programs to improve awareness of leisure opportunities
- Responds to crisis situations appropriately, effectively, and calmly to ensure ongoing safety of patients and others
- Sets clearly defined limits and utilizes effective interventions
- Records progress, functioning, intervention outcomes, and recommendations in the appropriate charting format
- Documents unusual occurrences, accidents and incidents in the appropriate reporting format
- Participates as a member of the multi-disciplinary treatment team to develop and employ a total patient care program by consistently attending and contributing to multi-disciplinary staffing and team meetings
- Influences coworkers in a positive direction
- Participates in cooperative efforts by contributing to discussions, listening to others' ideas, and supporting group concensus
- Accepts any challenges within the hospital and/or unit as a shared responsibility
- Respects differing viewpoints even when in conflict with their own
- Ensures sufficient recreational and unit supplies by maintaining supply inventories, submitting purchase requests in a timely fashion, identifying malfunctions and initiating corrective action as appropriate
- Ensures program van is in good repair, has sufficient fuel, and is up to date with maintenance and registrations.
- Demonstrates cost-effective utilization of equipment and supplies and identifies new options to promote efficiency.
- Performs miscellaneous job related duties as requested.