This is a patient/customer service oriented position which is responsible for timely and accurate patient scheduling, specimen collection, and ordering to ensure timely and accurate results. The position requires knowledge and experience with venipuncture techniques to successfully acquire blood with minimal adverse impact to pediatric patients. A knowledge of electronic health record and laboratory information systems to manage patient specimen orders and submissions is required. This position reports to the Supervisor, Lab-Processing.
- Family-Centered care that focuses on the need of the child first and values the family as an important member of the care team
- Excellence in clinical care, service and communication
- Collaborative within our institution and with others who share our mission and goals
- Leadership that set the standard for pediatric health care today and innovations of the future
- Accountability to our patients, community and each other for providing the best in the most cost-effective way.
- Accurately schedules patients for phlebotomy draws as necessary for genetic testing orders. Collects specimens (blood, saliva, etc.) as necessary to facilitate patient testing.
- Demonstrates excellent customer service to all internal and external customers in responding to genetic test and billing inquiries and other issues related to specimen management, specimen requirements, testing and reporting for genetics testing.
- Establishes priorities, provides day to day problem resolution and troubleshooting to partner with appropriate hospital departments in facilitating timely ordering and billing of patient genetic orders.
- Maintains positive working relationship with the laboratory staff. Communicates appropriately with all staff members, including genetic counselors and physicians.
- Maintains appropriate key performance indicators (metrics) to support service level agreements.
- Under the supervision of the department supervisor, ensures areas of responsibility are maintained in accreditation with CAP, CMS and CLIA.
- Accurately scans in results for the miscellaneous genetic test results to the patient EHR. Scans all manual requisitions to the appropriate electronic file. Maintains paper copies as required by CAP and laboratory-specific policies.
- Investigates and applies appropriate CPT codes and billing charges to genetic laboratory tests not listed in the CDM.
- Accurately orders and bills genetic tests electronically through the laboratory information system.
- Performs miscellaneous job related duties as requested.