This position assists in the productive operation of the rehab department, working under the direction and supervision of the professional therapy staff in accordance with established departmental policies and procedures. Supports daily operation of the clinic primarily as the handler of the facility rehab services therapy dog, as well as in a variety of technical, clerical, and other capacities including treatment setups/cleanups, maintaining treatment area/equipment, assisting clinicians with routine patient care tasks, transporting/transferring of immobile patients, and various clerical tasks.
- Family-Centered care that focuses on the need of the child first and values the family as an important member of the care team
- Excellence in clinical care, service and communication
- Collaborative within our institution and with others who share our mission and goals
- Leadership that set the standard for pediatric health care today and innovations of the future
- Accountability to our patients, community and each other for providing the best in the most cost-effective way.
- Primary handler of the facility rehab services therapy dog. Assists the rehab clinicians to enhance their clinical practice and meet patient goals within the clinicians` professional scope of practice. Collaborates and co-treats with interdisciplinary staff to provide therapeutic animal-assisted interactions that will assist the patient in meeting treatment goals established by professional staff. Collaborates with staff and volunteers in the Animal Assisted Therapy (AAT) program, accepting/coordinating referrals from the AAT with clinicians and referring requests to the AAT program. Assesses both the animal and patient for stress signals and any discomfort during facility dog interventions. Maintains safety of the facility dog and others at all times in challenging and stimulating environments. Prioritizes high workload effectively and adapts to frequently changing facility dog program priorities. Takes possession of the facility dog under the supervision of the service dog organization field trainer. Maintains the safety, health, grooming, and behavior of the facility dog according to hospital policies and guidelines. Engages in marketing and media activities for the facility dog program while adhering to all hospital policies.
- Prepares treatment area, equipment, and patients for treatment sessions. Escorts patients to and from therapy areas, using appropriate modes of transportation and including transferring/lifting and setup of patient. Provides and/or assists with routine patient care under the direct supervision of a licensed therapist including but not limited to appropriate treatment modalities, fabricating assistive devices, and conducting designated routine therapy tasks. Interacts with staff and patients/families/caregivers including occasionally over the reception desk or by phone. Communicates needs identified by patients/families/caregivers to the appropriate therapy staff. Cleans and maintains treatment areas, department equipment, work surfaces, and cabinetry. Performs clerical activities as directed, acting as back up for the therapist. Organizes patient transportation schedules based on department therapy appointments
- Performs miscellaneous job related duties as requested.