This position is a lead role for the Surgical Pathology area in the Pathology Department. This position is responsible for quality, equipment, inventory, and procedural oversight in the Surgical Pathology area. This position facilitates preparation for educational conferences within the organization. This position assists the Pathologists by receiving, examining, processing, sectioning surgical pathology specimens and prosection of autopsies and tissue sampling for microscopic examination. This position also conducts abstracting clinical information from patients’ medical records, gross and microscopic specimen photography, computerized image processing and manipulation, barium injections for post mortem barium angiograms, specimen radiography, morphometric analysis of tissue sections. This position receives regular review of completed work activities from the Manager, Anatomic Pathology
- Family-Centered care that focuses on the need of the child first and values the family as an important member of the care team
- Excellence in clinical care, service and communication
- Collaborative within our institution and with others who share our mission and goals
- Leadership that set the standard for pediatric health care today and innovations of the future
- Accountability to our patients, community and each other for providing the best in the most cost-effective way.
- Involved in the preparation of slides/presentations and necessary equipment set up for educational conferences.
- Maintains professional and technical competency in pathology through constantly pursuing knowledge and self-improvement; maintains extensive knowledge in anatomic pathology, apprised of current developments and awareness of latest technology/practices to improve outcomes.
- Oversees the adequate maintenance of inventory levels and orders supplies as appropriate.
- Responsible for the review of daily surgical schedule in evaluating, organizing, and directing work flow needs throughout the day in the Surgical Pathology area. Oversees work activities of assigned staff to ensure achievement of established goals, objectives, and outcomes; provides guidance, mentoring, and direction, as appropriate for ongoing staff development.
- Participates in hospital and department operational and quality improvement initiatives; proactively evaluates systems, practices and assists to create and implement changes to increase and enhance the effectiveness of the operations.
- Performs accurate gross examinations and descriptions of surgical tissue for pathology (surgical and autopsy) in accordance with established policies, standards and practices and dictates clear and concise macroscopic descriptions for effective diagnosis and treatment.
- Performs, reviews, and maintains quality control testing, records, departmental procedures and files for the area to ensure ongoing compliance with policies, regulations, and safety guidelines for safe work practices. Works within the framework of an integrated health team by effectively communicating exchange of patient data maintaining patient confidentiality as appropriate.
- Processes specimens for special procedures including frozen sections within required time constraints.
- Responsible for the maintenance and working condition of equipment and instruments within the area.
- Performs miscellaneous job related duties as requested.