The Laboratory Point of Care Specialist collaborates with the Point of Care Coordinator (POCC) to ensure operations for all Point of Care Testing at each Phoenix Children`s Hospital location achieves and maintains compliance with the established quality control and regulatory standards.
- Family-Centered care that focuses on the need of the child first and values the family as an important member of the care team
- Excellence in clinical care, service and communication
- Collaborative within our institution and with others who share our mission and goals
- Leadership that set the standard for pediatric health care today and innovations of the future
- Accountability to our patients, community and each other for providing the best in the most cost-effective way.
Performs Point of Care duties as assigned by Point of Care Coordinator (POCC).
- Monitors and maintains POC Rals, AQURE and LMS programs.
Maintains professional and technical competency through constantly pursuing knowledge and self-improvement by remaining apprised of current literature, practices, and new developments in the fields covered by medical technology.
- Reviews CAP checklists on a regular basis to remain proficient.
Acts as a liaison between Nursing Education, Clinical Managers, Testing Personnel, and Laboratory to establish and monitor POC testing throughout all PCH facilities.
- Attends meetings with Clinical departments performing POC testing as needed.
Assists Point-of-Care Coordinator (POCC) in establishing and monitoring Quality Control testing, patient testing and reporting of results.
- Monitors testing daily, performs corrective action with POC operators as needed.
Assists POCC in researching and selecting new instrumentation and testing kits for POC testing.
- Perform validation testing for new testing and instrumentation.
Performs instrument maintenance and troubleshooting as needed.
- Performs maintenance on non-waived instruments monthly.
Assists POCC with the orientation, training, and competency assessment that is provided to testing personnel, including physicians, as required by regulatory standards.
- Conducts new hire and annual training classes for staff.
Assists POCC in maintaining the inventory of POC supplies; ensures supplies are stored at proper temperature.
- Orders POCC supplies as needed, performs quality control and distributes to POC sites.
Performs complex patient testing and quality control testing of samples; plans techniques based on assessment of findings and accepted protocols. Performs instrument calibrations, linearity`s and comparisons as well as maintenance, and troubleshooting when required.
- Maintain blood gas instruments, Avox, ACT instruments as well as all waived instruments.
- Performs miscellaneous job related duties as requested.