Posting Note: The Associate General Counsel will report to the Phoenix Children’s Hospital Executive Vice President and General Counsel and provide a broad range of in-house legal support to the organization and its facilities, including hospital administration, operational teams and clinical staff. The Associate General Counsel will provide counsel in a variety of areas, including general health care law, medical staff matters, regulatory compliance, transactional matters, litigation, complex contract preparation and negotiation, risk management and patient care matters, clinical research, and other day-to-day legal matters. The attorney will provide advice regarding arrangements and transactions with hospitals, physicians, vendors, and administrative agencies, as well as substantive regulatory issues including Stark, Anti-kickback Statute, and other state and federal health care regulatory requirements. The Associate General Counsel will also assist in the development and review of policies and procedures for business and clinical functions, serve on hospital committees and work collaboratively with hospital teams on operational projects. Extensive in-house or law firm experience involving legal services for hospitals, hospital systems or health care organizations required, experience in real estate, construction and transactional matters helpful.
The Associate General Counsel is responsible for providing a wide range of in-house legal services for Phoenix Children’s Hospital.
- Family-Centered care that focuses on the need of the child first and values the family as an important member of the care team
- Excellence in clinical care, service and communication
- Collaborative within our institution and with others who share our mission and goals
- Leadership that set the standard for pediatric health care today and innovations of the future
- Accountability to our patients, community and each other for providing the best in the most cost-effective way.
Provides oversight, direction and support for the Office of General Counsel.
- Assists in the recruitment, coaching, development and retention of qualified, competent staff.
- Educates staff through client conferences, training sessions and oral presentations; advises clients on new developments in the law and proactively identifies problem areas for clients to minimize risks.
- Leads department on administrative matters, at the request of the General Counsel, including planning employee survey response and evaluating employees.
- Provides legal advice and counsel in diverse matters affecting the day-to-day activities of the institution by assisting, advising, investigating, researching and resolving legal matters.
- Leads various legal projects and negotiates workable solutions to complex and sensitive legal issues.
- At the discretion of the General Counsel, manages business litigation, including subpoena process, involving Phoenix Children’s Hospital.
- Drafts and reviews contracts and ensures timely review and approval of contracts.
- Assists in the corporate secretarial functions of the Phoenix Children’s Hospital corporate entities and affiliates, including corporate filings, trademark filings, etc.
- Serve as a legal resource to the Risk Management and Compliance departments.
- Assists and supports General Counsel in legal, administrative, and budgetary matters, as requested, including assisting in planning and leading Office of General Counsel meetings, retreats, and departmental work activities, developing and implementing departmental goals and objectives.
- Assists in the efficient use, management, and evaluation of outside counsel consistent with budgetary projections.
- Performs miscellaneous job related duties as requested.