The Communications Specialist is a key member of the Communications team responsible for executing on our internal and external communication strategies at Phoenix Children’s. This role is part of a collaborative team working to enhance the communications experience for all of our internal and external stakeholders (employees, providers, patients, etc.), inspire and promote our culture, mission and values, deepen our stakeholder relationships and continue to strengthen the Phoenix Children’s brand. This position supports the organization’s efforts related to planning, execution and measurement of communications efforts to drive awareness, understanding, preference and loyalty to Phoenix Children’s with our various stakeholders. The Communications Specialist will use his or her writing and editing skills to draft materials such as press releases, newsletter articles and key messages that are deployed across various platforms (newsletters, emails, fliers, social media, etc.). The Communications Specialists will also work to help the team manage projects, catalog and track communications assets, monitor news coverage, maintain clipping reports, proactively pitch media, be onsite at events and media opportunities and work with stakeholders to maintain a positive image for Phoenix Children’s.
- Family-Centered care that focuses on the need of the child first and values the family as an important member of the care team
- Excellence in clinical care, service and communication
- Collaborative within our institution and with others who share our mission and goals
- Leadership that set the standard for pediatric health care today and innovations of the future
- Accountability to our patients, community and each other for providing the best in the most cost-effective way.
Communications, Media Relations and Content Planning
- Works with stakeholders to uncover opportunities for stories and important content within current channels including social media, internal communications and media relations channels. Identifies opportunities to achieve goals for various stakeholders and prioritizes projects appropriately to meet deadlines. Develops and executes integrated communications plans in-line with agreed upon goals. Works closely with Marketing and Communications team to ensure alignment of messages and timelines. Maintains media lists, editorial calendars and story road maps to effectively pitch media outlets. Ensures activities conform to legal standards, including but not limited to HIPAA and Stark.
Writing and Editing
- Researches, writes and produces material targeted to various stakeholders (employees, patients, providers, etc.) in support of organization initiatives and priorities. This may include, e-newsletters, press releases, emails, blogs and other communications vehicles. Works with appropriate individuals to develop approaches to projects with topic ideas that with appeal to intended audiences and support enterprise-wide strategies and goals. Writes in top professional quality (style, grammar, interest, readability and tone), presents facts and quotations accurately, and ensures the finished product communicates effectively with appropriate language geared to its audience. When editing others’ writing, handles with respect for the writer and an understanding of the project goals and intended use(s). Writes using AP and Phoenix Children`s style guides with a commitment to error-free content.
- Delivers on multiple projects and initiatives simultaneously, meeting deadlines, quality measures and budgets. Helps maintain project management database for the team, including inputting projects, notes, deadlines and deliverables.
Research and Strategy Development
- Uses research to better understand stakeholders in order to develop strategies and tactics to communicate appropriately. Regularly reviews Phoenix Children`s strategic objectives and needs to build impactful and creative communications strategies that keep the organization and its stakeholders informed about Phoenix Children`s developments
- Performs miscellaneous job related duties as requested.