Posting Note: PCH is looking for a nurse lead for the IR unit. This unique position is part of a very dedicated team of nurses who provide exceptional care to our patients who come to PCH for highly specialized procedures. This dynamic position will be responsible for the overall workflow of the unit. Incumbent will be responsible for setting up and running IR rooms; exceptional patient care; scheduling of staff; working with providers on procedure scheduling; and other administrative duties. The work schedule is 4 x 10's.
The Clinical Nurse Lead coordinates shift operational flow in conjunction with organizational and departmental strategic goals, objectives, and standards and is the hospitals clinical representative/resource for patients, families, and the healthcare team, at both the departmental and organizational levels. This was the clinical leadership of patient care services and direct supervision of nursing and support staff to ensure consistent provision of developmentally appropriate quality patient care in accordance with all applicable federal, regulatory, professional standards and requirements. Provides clinical leadership with accountability in promoting quality patient care and an engaging work environment, during assigned shift. Routinely places self in unit nurse count.
- Family-Centered care that focuses on the need of the child first and values the family as an important member of the care team
- Excellence in clinical care, service and communication
- Collaborative within our institution and with others who share our mission and goals
- Leadership that set the standard for pediatric health care today and innovations of the future
- Accountability to our patients, community and each other for providing the best in the most cost-effective way.
Coordinates/leads daily clinical operational activities of the unit and organization by ensuring that quality family centered care is delivered in an efficient work environment.
- Manages patient throughput-balances unit patient care activities while overseeing the delivery of patient care, ordaining admissions, discharges, transfers, and routinely functions and renders clinical care placing self in the unit nursing count.
- Oversee staffing processes-coordinates assignments using established staffing levels to match individualized patient needs with staff competencies, and staff skill mix through ongoing assessment of patients and unit needs.
- Monitors unit environment-ensures that staff has its supplies, equipment, information, and resources needed to provide quality patient care in a safe work environment.
- Staffs, schedules, appropriately uses nursing and support staff.
- Documentation-update scheduling, occurrence reports, patient/family concerns, and quality indicators in the real-time environment maximizing resolution prior to the end of the shift.
- Provides a report to the manager or designee status of patient throughput, staffing processes, unit environment, schedules, occurrence reports, patient/family concerns, and quality indicators.
Collaborates with manager to lead, create, and maintain an environment that advocates for staff and promotes individual/team engagement through clinical expertise and professional leadership.
- Demonstrates and promotes clinical leadership-serves as a clinical and system expert with nursing and an interdisciplinary team members in the assessment, development, implementation, and evaluation of the age-specific individualized patient/family-centered plan of care documented actions.
- Accountable for promoting a culture of learning resulting in staff/team development and retention.
Achieves departmental outcomes - aligns and manages to organization metrics.
- Identifies, facilitates, and leads departmental performance improvement projects that enhance patient care delivery systems as well as staff, patient, family, and customer satisfaction.
- Ensures timely completion and investigation of occurrence reports. Proactively identifies patient safety risks and participants and risk avoidance strategies.
- Takes active interest in accountability for key operational functions, including but not limited to, patient safety issues, timely resolution of complaints, quality improvement initiatives, survey preparation, and patient/family satisfaction follow-up.
- Makes decisions that demonstrate sound stewardship of financial resources-collaborates with the team to meet departmental/organization financial goals.
- Serves as daily operational resource to staff and in the management of supplies and equipment.
Takes personal responsibility to adhere to department/organization policies and procedures, compliance and regulatory agency requirements.
- Collaborates with leadership team to develop, review, revise and implement evidence-based policies and procedures on an ongoing basis, to assure department consistency and compliance with hospital standards/safety and accrediting bodies including: joint commission, OSHA, HIPAA, infection control, environment of care, national patient safety goals. Understands the link each between department requirements and those of the integrated delivery system. Develops risk reduction and error prevention strategies by ensuring staff compliance with policies/procedures.
- Mentor staff to ensure the fundamental values of the American nurses Association code of ethics in nursing and national nursing standards are operationalized into daily clinical practice/teaching activities and work environment including.
- Establishes professional relationships with compassion and respect for human dignity, worth, and the uniqueness of individuals, while demonstrating primary commitment to the patient and advocating for patient privacy, health, safety and rights.
- Identifies the boundaries of the profession by accepting responsibility and accountability for own activities, for own actions, delegating tasks appropriately to optimize patient care. Maintains confidence with continued pursuit of activities for personal/professional growth. Influences the patient care/work environment with the values of nursing to promote respectful interactions, the promotion of safe practices, and creates a care setting that expects high-quality, compassionate nursing care.
- Collaborates with all disciplines in promoting nursing excellence in meeting health care standards. Seeks opportunities beyond patient care advanced profession by involvement in developing, maintaining, implementing professional standards for practice/education. i.e. involvement with internship programs, committees, awareness of broader healthcare issues such as TJC national patient safety goals, integrating nursing values into daily practice (particulates and practices).
Supports a work environment that focuses on staff, customer, and patient/family through safe and effective communication.
- Develops leadership skills among staff including critical thinking, problem solving, engagement, and career advancement.
- May participate in the hiring process-interview and unit/organization integration.
- Monitor staff performance providing feedback to the manager and designated nursing manager for practice oversight or on evaluation performance.
- Collaborates with other departments and disciplines to maintain effective education channels by gathering and exchanging information, obtaining solutions to problems, and coordinating services to ensure optimal outcomes are achieved.
- Demonstrates the ability to lead decisions to reflect organizational standards and values-utilizes the shared governance process.
- Utilizes the chain of command to communicate in real-time patient care, staff, family, and visitor concerns outcomes.
- Performs miscellaneous job related duties as requested.