Posting Note: Pediatric Nephrology Nurse Practitioner This position will primarily have responsibilities in the outpatient dialysis and nephrology service areas. The nephrology division is the largest in the state of Arizona. On average, they complete 11,000 outpatient visits per year. The Phoenix Children’s Hospital Dialysis Facility began services in 2001 and is the only dedicated pediatric dialysis facility in Arizona. The facility offers both hemodialysis and peritoneal dialysis. The average hemodialysis patient census is 15; and the average peritoneal patient population is 20. The dialysis facility is a Center for Medicare and Medicaid (CMS) certified ESRD facility. We are active participants in a national Children’s Hospital collaborative – SCOPE (Standardized Care to Improve Outcomes in Pediatric Endstage Kidney Disease). We work closely with the Pediatric Kidney Transplantation Program to support chronic kidney and end stage renal disease patients to kidney transplant listing and transplantation. This position will collaborate directly with the patients, families, nephrologists as well as nutritionists, social workers, nurses and a dedicated quality consultant. General responsibilities include: Outpatient dialysis unit rounds - Includes rounding each patient shift and writing interval notes; one per week on each HD patient, attend comprehensive interdisciplinary patient assessment meetings, • Managing dialysis unit calls - Includes placing orders and managing urgent family and patient care needs Medication reconciliation and prescription management of dialysis patients Lab and Anemia management of ESRD patients - Following lab trends for all dialysis patients and adjusting medications and dialysis prescriptions, Facilitating interdisciplinary team meetings - Team meetings to adjust care plans in ESRD patients. Coordination of care - Trending of ESRD patients and participating to transition care to transplant or dialysis, coordinating care of the ESRD patient population with other specialties in the organization. Drive quality improvement initiatives and change in the dialysis unit. Participate in multidisciplinary clinics.This position is the only APP in Nephrology and Dialysis an must work autonomously in this setting. This is a M-F day shift position at PCH Main Campus. Prior clinical experience in pediatrics is essential. Preferred experience in dialysis/nephrology are desired, but not required
This position works in collaboration with the attending physicians and works within their scope of practice to provide excellent clinical care for patients. Plays a critical role in the patient family medical team. Professional who may practice in hospital’s inpatient and/or outpatient setting.
- Family-Centered care that focuses on the need of the child first and values the family as an important member of the care team
- Excellence in clinical care, service and communication
- Collaborative within our institution and with others who share our mission and goals
- Leadership that set the standard for pediatric health care today and innovations of the future
- Accountability to our patients, community and each other for providing the best in the most cost-effective way.
- Conducts comprehensive health history, physical assessments and plans for infants, children and young adults with acute and chronic health conditions. Utilizes advanced assessment skills to manage a cohort of patients.
- Orders and prescribes pharmacologic and non-pharmacologic interventions, and performs other therapeutic or corrective measures to treat illness and improve health status.
- Formulates family centered plan of care. Performs daily documents as necessary. Collaborated and coordinated care with other team members.
- Collects data and analyzes when necessary.
- Performs any needed advanced procedures that are associated with their credentialing process DOP.
- Utilizes the most up to date and evidence based practice for plan of care and able to alter the plan according to family needs and effectiveness or plan.
- Serves as an educational resource to patient/family/ nursing staff/ provider team and other health care teams as needed.
- Participates in own professional development by maintaining required competences, certifying body renewals, seeking educational offerings when available, and participates in the professional development of others which may include Advanced Practice Provider students, Residents and Medical Students. Acts as a preceptor/mentor for those new in department.
- Demonstrates commitment to patient safety by bring up concerns in appropriate manner, reporting through appropriate channels, and ensuring change of practice when necessary. Demonstrates shared accountability of safe practice.
- Performs miscellaneous job related duties as requested.