Posting Note: *Part-time position; 2pm-12:30pm schedule
This position is the 24/7 physician answering service and operator for Phoenix Children’s Hospital, this critical service connects both internal and external callers with providers by following electronic schedules and protocol for a given scenario. Triage code and emergency calls, including internal 911 calls, then notify the appropriate responders using various technologies such as phone, SMS, secure message, and public address systems. Additionally, this position provides routine information by phone and electronic chat, hospital directory assistance, transfers calls to the appropriate location, provides basic after-hour help desk support, and dispatches patient transport requests.
- Family-Centered care that focuses on the need of the child first and values the family as an important member of the care team
- Excellence in clinical care, service and communication
- Collaborative within our institution and with others who share our mission and goals
- Leadership that set the standard for pediatric health care today and innovations of the future
- Accountability to our patients, community and each other for providing the best in the most cost-effective way.
Provides outstanding customer service as answering service for our medical providers and specialty offices.
- Answers telephone calls forwarded to the answering service from medical provider and specialty offices as well as various internal support departments within 6 rings 98% of the time. Responsible for taking consult requests called in by community medical providers and routing to the correct specialty provider. Completes screening questions, document patient demographics, and caller’s contact information in the electronic systems. Reads the electronic schedule and locates the correct provider to receive the message based on condition, time of day, and escalation time frames. Determines the appropriate method of contacting each provider based on need and protocol. Completes follow-up for undelivered messages and escalates according to individual account escalation instructions 95% of the time. Keeps provider contact numbers updated for the answering service use by taking necessary steps to communicate temporary changes and updates databases for long term changes.
Provides general hospital operator services which includes electronic chat, telephone and paging services
- Communicates general information to include directions, available hospital services, call routing, staff directory assistance, patient directory assistance, accepted insurance plans, and routing to specialty based on illness or suspected diagnosis.
Responsible for communicating the Code, Emergency and Disaster services within the hospital.
- Answers the code line, internal 911, and other emergency lines within three rings 100% of the time. Notifies the appropriate responders using various technologies such as phone, SMS, secure message, and public address systems. Accurately dispatches and announces codes 99% of the time using established scripting and protocol.
Completes dispatching duties by monitoring electronic transport systems, and assigns transport requests based on location and priority.
- Responsible for communicating with nursing departments, diagnostic testing departments, and the Pre-op/PACU areas to achieve timely movement of patients. Continually monitors requests and transporters to ensure accurate time keeping of requests and efficient workflow.
Maintains regulatory compliance
- Utilizes internal policy and procedures that relate to the call center answering service, and the handling of confidential patient information according to HIPAA.
Maintains knowledge to operate office equipment that relates to the call center answering service.
- Maintains knowledge of fax, printer, pc, monitors, headsets, phones, pagers, and public address systems. Remains familiar with local, national, and international dialing patterns.
- Performs miscellaneous job related duties as requested.