Posting Note: PRN Position
This position performs a variety of routine laboratory specimen processing functions from patients of all ages to provide data for use in diagnosis and treatment of disease. This position receives close clinical supervision of completed work activities from the Specimen Processing Supervisor and does not supervise any other position. The Laboratory Assistant II has advanced certification in the area directly related to their job responsibilities, such as phlebotomy, medical assistant, or laboratory assisting.
- Family-Centered care that focuses on the need of the child first and values the family as an important member of the care team
- Excellence in clinical care, service and communication
- Collaborative within our institution and with others who share our mission and goals
- Leadership that set the standard for pediatric health care today and innovations of the future
- Accountability to our patients, community and each other for providing the best in the most cost-effective way.
Processes patient specimens according to established quality standards, methods and practices to prepare them for send out and/or in-house laboratory testing.
- Demonstrates competency with Sunquest/Smarterm.
- Electronically receives specimens accurately.
- Work is performed timely and efficiently.
- Send out specimens are prepared for shipping accurately and thoroughly.
Initiates and maintains confidential records of patient tests and results for ongoing and timely availability for diagnosis and accurate billing to patient record.
- Patient privacy is maintained with no patient information shared outside the facility.
- Items containing patient information are disposed of appropriately.
- Ensures accurate billing of manually ordered tests by accurately using patient identification.
Performs regular instrument maintenance and troubleshooting (centrifuge, printer, etc) in accordance with instructions for safe and continuous operations.
- Items such as centrifuges, refrigerators and printers are used, maintained and kept clean as per policy.
Demonstrates professional customer service.
- Answers department telephones while providing professional, timely and accurate information.
Maintains technical competency, pursuing knowledge and self-improvement by being apprised of new developments in the field of specimen collection and/or laboratory medicine.
- Adapts to changes and incorporates new processes when appropriate.
- Seeks information when presented with new test orders.
- Attends continuing education when appropriate.
- Wears PPE appropriately.
Participates in the evaluation and/or development of new procedures, instrumentation and quality improvement initiatives and assists in creating changes to increase department effectiveness.
- Demonstrates willingness to adapt to new procedures, instrumentation and processes.
- Participates in the orientation and training of newly hired staff as requested.
Assesses specimen quality and integrity for patient age, appropriate type, volume, and patient identification within the scope of their education and training.
- Incorporates all appropriate factors when determining specimen quality for testing.
- Understands how to research specimen requirements.
- Demonstrates a professional, respectful attitude to team workers and is compliant with departmental and organizational policies.
- Performs miscellaneous job related duties as requested.