Posting Note: Registered Nurse licensure required. National certification required.
The Vice President, Critical Care Services provides strategic leadership and operational oversight for areas of responsibility including the Newborn Intensive Care/NICU, Pediatric Intensive Care/PICU, Cardiovascular Intensive Care/CVICU, Emergency Department/ED, Respiratory Care Division, and ECMO/ELSO Program. This position maintains standards for professional practice and is responsible for execution of strategy and overall operations, including but not limited to regulatory/accreditation planning, budgeting, staffing, and quality/performance improvement efforts.
- Family-Centered care that focuses on the need of the child first and values the family as an important member of the care team
- Excellence in clinical care, service and communication
- Collaborative within our institution and with others who share our mission and goals
- Leadership that set the standard for pediatric health care today and innovations of the future
- Accountability to our patients, community and each other for providing the best in the most cost-effective way.
Provides direction, leadership and oversight for assigned departments of responsibility.
- Accountable for the strategic and operational planning for areas of responsibility detailed above.
- Coordinates efforts to improve operational effectiveness, financial performance, customer satisfaction, clinical excellence, and employee satisfaction and incorporates into strategic initiatives for departments.
- Accountable for the operational successes of each department.
- Responsible for budget development, regular monitoring, accountability to meet operational targets within span of control.
- Monitors and assesses trends, external environmental and internal practices and makes recommendations to develop/adjust strategy to meet changing business and market conditions.
- Responsible for the supervision, development, coordination of the departments and all daily operations.
- Develops and implements plans within areas of responsibility in order to respond to changing programs, fluctuating volumes, staffing and related issues.
- Collaborates with Clinical and Senior Leadership (PIC, SIC, CMO, etc.) on issues related to strategic operations and finance.
Responsible for maintaining knowledge and achieves compliance with federal, state and local regulatory and accreditation requirements.
- Ensures areas of responsibility meet or exceed all compliance requirements from external agencies and maintains a state of continuous regulatory readiness.
- In collaboration with the quality department, responsible for patient safety, clinical quality performance, and patient experience.
- Develops and implements policies and procedures that guide and support the provision of services while maintaining compliance with pertinent laws and regulations.
- Proactively works to assure patient satisfaction, including prompt resolution of complaints, problems and issues in departments.
- Assures nursing practice is consistent with the law and rules of the AZ State Board of Nursing, and other licensing bodies which govern practice of department employees.
Demonstrates strong leadership skills to cultivate a high performance team.
- Assures engagement, satisfaction and alignment of employees and providers to ensure effective implementation of strategic and operational plans within the assigned entity.
- Effectively manages staff and holds managers and directors accountable for the same.
- Mentors leaders and management in career growth and actively cooperates in succession planning efforts at the System level with special emphasis on retaining and recruiting a diverse work force.
- Monitors and ensures the hiring of competent staff, proper orientation, relevant continuing education, and competency validation.
- Establishes clear performance and customer services expectations.
- Creates an environment in which effective communication and responsiveness to customer needs are personal priorities. Provides timely resolution and response to customer complaints, concerns and suggestions.
- Supports the Phoenix Children’s professional practice efforts (including but not limited to clinical ladder, unit based council, evidence based practice, research, and shared governance model, etc.)
Demonstrates success in leading process and quality improvement initiatives within areas of responsibility (using Lean principles where relevant).
- Effectively analyzes complex issues/problems and lead/influence individuals and groups in developing and implementing successful resolution tactics. Uses highly effective communication and presentation skills accompanied by the ability to analyze and present data to influence behavior, stimulate innovation, promote best practices and drive organizational change.
- Demonstrates and communicates a commitment to performance improvement through systematic outcome monitoring of data.
- Strong metrics-driven performance improvement background is important, as is the ability to coach leaders to higher levels of accountability and execution.
- The ability to use data to create accountability structures to drive success.
- Performs miscellaneous job related duties as requested.