This position is responsible for managing daily operations of Inpatient Pharmacy Services, Main Campus based clinics, and departments serviced by the Inpatient Pharmacy. Directly manages inpatient operation pharmacists, technicians, and lead technician team. Provides supervision and oversight of the inpatient clinical staff pharmacists, pharmacy interns, and students. Responsible for human resource management functions of direct reports. This position reports directly to the Director of Inpatient Pharmacy Services and receives supervision from the Chief of Pharmacy Services.
- Family-Centered care that focuses on the need of the child first and values the family as an important member of the care team
- Excellence in clinical care, service and communication
- Collaborative within our institution and with others who share our mission and goals
- Leadership that set the standard for pediatric health care today and innovations of the future
- Accountability to our patients, community and each other for providing the best in the most cost-effective way.
Actively leads daily inpatient pharmacy operations to maintain department quality control, regulatory compliance, and safe medication management. Ensures appropriate staffing levels to provide safe and effective patient care.
- Completes the clinical staff pharmacist schedule in a timely manner.
- Supports the Lead Pharmacy Technician in the completion and management of the pharmacy technician staff schedule.
- Approves Paid Time Off (PTO) requests for the clinical staff pharmacists and pharmacy technicians.
- Creates and maintains job duties for technician and pharmacist roles.
Directly manages staff pharmacy technicians and contributes to the supervision, evaluations, and competency training of the Sterile Products Lead Pharmacist, Operations Leads Pharmacist(s) and Technician(s), Automation Specialist, and clinical staff pharmacist(s).
- Completes both 90 day and performance evaluations on time; initiates and delivers for cause Performance Improvement Plans (PIP) with the support of the Director of Inpatient Pharmacy Services.
- Ensure all training requirements have been met and documentation is completed in a timely manner.
- Responsible for hiring pharmacy technicians. To include completion of initial application screening, scheduling and organizing onsite interviews. Supports the Human Resource Department with onboarding of new employees.
- Assist with hiring of Pharmacist staff. Support the Human Resource Department with onboarding of new employees.
- Develop and implement programs that support employee engagement.
Assist in the development, implementation, and evaluation of department`s operations, clinical and financial goals. Assures individual goals coincide with the department and hospital goals.
- Actively involved and contributes to meeting cost savings and expense reduction goals
- Actively involved with effective formulary management to meet hospital policies
- Develops individual annual goals to meet organizational targets
- Responsible for assisting the Director of Inpatient Pharmacy Services to achieve organizational goals by promoting the development, preparation, implementation, and attainment of departmental goals, policies/procedures, and projects to improve medication safety, quality assurance, accessibility of inpatient pharmacy and main campus clinic services.
Actively participates in the departmental education activities.
- Develop and implement competencies pertaining to pharmacy operations; ensure annual competencies are completed in a timely manner
- Provide preceptorship to pharmacy residents, pharmacy technician students, and college of pharmacy students.
- Creates and implements programs to educate and develop staff.
Acts as liaison between the pharmacy, medical, nursing and hospital staff for issues pertaining to inpatient and main campus clinic(s) pharmacy services.
- Build and strengthen relationships with medical, nursing, and hospital staff to provide quality care to patients and meet regulatory compliance.
- Effectively communicates problems, patient needs and pertinent information to enhance continuity of care. Respond promptly to all modes of communication within the department and hospital and proactively solves problems. Answers phones promptly and politely demonstrating PCH Values of excellence in clinical care, service and communication at all times.
Maintains competency as a clinical staff pharmacist and is able to staff various shifts within the department.
- Completes all department and hospital mandatory competencies as required
- Functions in a daily staff role as required
- Provides direct oversight and timely and accurate verification of final product for all aseptic parenteral and non- parenteral medication preparation, dispensing and distribution in compliance with state, federal statues and hospital procedures.
Attends in-services, on the job training, required leadership classes offered by PCH, and participates in continuing education programs to meet Arizona Board of Pharmacy licensure requirements.
- Build and strengthen operational knowledge in areas such as regulatory compliance, IV room operations, compliance, inventory and formulary management, emergency preparedness
- Manages daily operations of automated dispensing technology, other pharmacy operations technology and information systems. Consults as an expert in these areas. Maintains medication supply inventory products, in conjunction with the Pharmacy Business Manager and supply chain staff to meet daily patient care needs.
- Supports quality assurance and medication safety initiatives within the department.
- Performs miscellaneous job related duties as requested.