The Supervisor of Child Life provides clinical leadership of patient care services, education and direct supervision of Child Life Specialists and Child Life Assistants to ensure consistent provision of developmentally appropriate quality patient care.
- Family-Centered care that focuses on the need of the child first and values the family as an important member of the care team
- Excellence in clinical care, service and communication
- Collaborative within our institution and with others who share our mission and goals
- Leadership that set the standard for pediatric health care today and innovations of the future
- Accountability to our patients, community and each other for providing the best in the most cost-effective way.
Direct supervision and clinical mentor to assigned direct reports
- Role models, mentors and promotes professional growth in accordance with ACLP Standards of Clinical Practice
- Maintains schedules and coordinates coverage based on acuity
- Assures Kronos accuracy in collaboration with Child Life Manager
- Ensures timely and accurate completion of charting, and provides chart audits
- Completes performance evaluations and initiates disciplinary process with support from Child Life Manager
- Provides opportunities for cross training
- Collaborates with child life clinical supervisor to provide student, department, and hospital wide education and training in accordance with ACLP Clinical Standards of Internships and Practice
- Plans, implements, and evaluates individual patient goals, based upon assessment findings.
- Provides teaching and psychological preparation for potentially stressful experiences with infants, children, adolescents, and families.
- Actively participates in interdisciplinary rounds and evaluations as a member of the treatment team.
- Documents patient assessments, interventions, and outcomes in the medical record.
- Provides a safe, therapeutic, and healing environment for infants, children, adolescents, and families.
- Escorts and facilitates social/ positive interactions between patients and special visitors, guests, or entertainers.
- Represents and communicates family centered philosophy on departmental and hospital-wide committees.
Assists department manager in administrative duties
- Participates in the hiring process
- Compiles and maintains monthly productivity statistics for reporting
- Coordinates onboarding of new staff members
- Assists in developing and sustaining recognition and retention programs for the department
- Assumes leadership responsibilities in the absence of the Child Life Manager
- Participates in continuing education and leadership trainings while remaining abreast of advances in Child Life and programs for hospitalized children.
- Provides departmental and interdisciplinary in-service education on growth and development, Child Life, and the impact of illness, injury, and healthcare on patients and their families.
- Performs miscellaneous job related duties as requested.