Posting Note: Interventional Radiology Coding Experience Required.
This position receives supervision from the HIM Coding Compliance Manager to perform internal coding quality reviews to ensure compliance with Official Coding Guidelines, UHDDS definitions and hospital coding policies. This position also provides training and education to the Coding Staff and Medical Staff, and maintains current department policies related to coding and abstracting. This position assists with coding production as needed, reviews and resolves coding issues related to billing, researches complex coding issues, and participates in process improvement related to coding and abstracting.
- Family-Centered care that focuses on the need of the child first and values the family as an important member of the care team
- Excellence in clinical care, service and communication
- Collaborative within our institution and with others who share our mission and goals
- Leadership that set the standard for pediatric health care today and innovations of the future
- Accountability to our patients, community and each other for providing the best in the most cost-effective way.
Performs internal coding and documentation quality reviews of coded Inpatient, Outpatient Surgery, Observation, Emergency Department, Urgent Care and Hospital Clinic medical records to verify the accuracy and specificity of assigned codes in accordance with supporting clinical documentation and in compliance with the current version of ICD Official Guidelines for Coding and Reporting, UHDDS Definitions, and hospital coding policies.
- Queries medical staff as appropriate to clarify documentation issues for accurate coding.
- Communicates with providers the medical record documentation needed for accurate, complete, and compliant documentation in accordance with accepted standards of practice and current coding guidelines.
- Provides necessary training and education to the Coding Staff individually and/or as a group, as appropriate.
- Mentors and trains newly hired Coders as well as provide ongoing training and cross-training of the Coding staff.
- Communicates timely to the Coding staff the results of the coding reviews performed.
- Assists the manager in maintaining and updating the HIM Coding policies and guidelines regarding coding and abstracting to reflect current practices and ensure compliance with applicable laws, rules and regulations.
Acts as a resource to hospital staff for all coding related questions. Responds in a timely manner to e-mail, bill edits, or other requests.
- Reviews accounts when requested by the Hospital Revenue Cycle Department and other hospital departments to research and resolve coding issues related to billing.
- Maintains professional certification and technical competency by attending education and training activities sponsored through the hospital, professional associations, and through independent study. Keeps apprised of current trends, developments and awareness of coding changes.
- Performs miscellaneous job related duties as requested.