This position oversees the activities of HIM (System Wide). The Director coordinates the development and integration of information systems related to health information. This position works closely with the IT team on the EHR infrastructure and work flows to ensure accuracy and efficiencies are at their optimal levels. This position develops and maintains standards and systems to enhance the quality, consistency and efficiency of department processes and implements privacy-related policies and procedures while maintaining knowledge of Joint Commission, CMS, HIPAA, state and federal guidelines. This position partners with management to provide continual risk assessment and develop comprehensive policies and procedures, compliance training, protocols and internal investigations. Collaborates with IT, Legal and Risk Management to support the definition of the Legal Health Record and spearhead the EHR Governance oversight committee. Oversees all of the off-site storage and retention policy and establishes ongoing destruction projects as applicable.
- Family-Centered care that focuses on the need of the child first and values the family as an important member of the care team
- Excellence in clinical care, service and communication
- Collaborative within our institution and with others who share our mission and goals
- Leadership that set the standard for pediatric health care today and innovations of the future
- Accountability to our patients, community and each other for providing the best in the most cost-effective way.
Health Information Management Activities.
- Manages and Coordinates the development and integration of information systems related to health information. Develops, implements, and communicates department-level and organization-wide policies and procedures. Ensures regulatory compliance with Joint Commission, CMS, HIPAA, and state and federal agencies. Oversees and monitors organization-wide outside record storage activities. Participates on various medical staff committees, which include Clinical EHR Governance, Quality Council, PCMG management, and liaison to IRB. Chairs the Hospital wide Forms Committee to standardize all versions of documentation. Chairs the HIM monthly department meeting. Plans, directs, coordinates, and manages the activities of HIM in the hospital and ambulatory clinics, which includes: release of information, Cancer Registrar, outsourced transcription for hospital use only, storage and retrieval, record retention, and record completion. Manages all of the Legal requests for release of information activities system-wide which includes our Phoenix Children`s Primary Care sites. Responsible for all records in response to subpoenas. Partners with Risk Management team as HIM prepares cases to mitigate potential lawsuits. Assists Office of Business Integrity (OBI) by reporting and tracking HIPAA violations that relate to PHI breaches & potential risks. Actively monitors and troubleshoots the patient portals by assisting with questions and validating the process to ensure that the LAR has proper access and ensures that Adolescent forms are completed for minors. Collaborates with Provider`s managers to encourage their offices to utilize the established automated tools that benefit patient information in a timely manner. This process reduces the need to manually fax reports if they utilize Health Point, our provider portal system. Demonstrates knowledge and understanding of how Legal Health Records need to be maintained and how to maximize the usage of EMR and ChartMaxx, our Document Management system, in order to optimize work flows and processes. Collaborates with Hospital and Ambulatory departments to reduce the amount of Master Patient Index errors, which could result in a patient safety error. HIM tracks and corrects all Duplicate Medical Record errors and flag any patient overwrites which need IT assistance to correct within the EMR. The HIM Director consults for all newly acquired practices as it relates to correctly handling and tracking release of information, use of approved forms, off-site storage, timely completion of records, and auditing the quality of the scanning prior to destruction. Overall responsiblility for evaluating all HIM related processes and recommending best practice methodology.
- Develops and prepares the annual capital and operating budgets for several cost centers and monitors and controls operating expenses to meet established organizational budget goals.
Staff Supervision and Development.
- Develops and supervises staff through provision of timely feedback and use of appropriate Human Resource policies and tools to facilitate and ensure the ability of the staff to achieve highest level of professional growth and desired performance standards. This includes hiring and managing performance of staff. Generates enthusiasm and commitment among team members to foster and reinforce team performance.
- Performs miscellaneous job related duties as requested.