This position performs a variety of routine laboratory specimen processing functions from patients of all ages to provide data for use in diagnosis and treatment of disease. This position also assumes a leadership role in daily operations, problem resolution, technical guidance, and compliance with regulatory standards. The Laboratory Assistant, Lead has advanced certification in the area directly related to their job responsibilities, such as phlebotomy or laboratory assisting. This position receives supervision of completed work activities from the Supervisor and provides supervisory support as needed.
- Family-Centered care that focuses on the need of the child first and values the family as an important member of the care team
- Excellence in clinical care, service and communication
- Collaborative within our institution and with others who share our mission and goals
- Leadership that set the standard for pediatric health care today and innovations of the future
- Accountability to our patients, community and each other for providing the best in the most cost-effective way.
Processes patient specimens according to established quality standards, methods and practices to prepare them for send out and/or in-house laboratory testing.
- Demonstrates competency with Sunquest/Smarterm.
- Electronically receives specimens accurately.
- Work is performed timely and efficiently.
- Send out specimens are prepared for shipping accurately and thoroughly.
Performs regular instrument maintenance and troubleshooting (centrifuge, printer, etc) in accordance with instructions for safe and continuous operations.
- Items such as centrifuges, refrigerators and printers are used, maintained and kept clean as per policy
Demonstrates professional customer service.
- Answers department telephones while providing professional, timely and accurate information.
Participates in the evaluation and/or development of new procedures, instrumentation and quality improvement initiatives and assists in creating changes to increase department effectiveness
- Incorporates all appropriate factors when determining specimen quality for testing.
- Understands how to research specimen requirements
- Assists in developing and maintaining related policies and guidelines; employs policies and procedures, regulatory guidelines, and professional standards to validate current practice requirements and support of overall organizational values and mission.
- Assists other staff with work assignments, as appropriate.
- Provides leadership support and oversees work activities of assigned staff to ensure achievement of established goals, objectives, and outcomes; provides guidance, mentoring, and direction as appropriate for ongoing staff development.
- Performs miscellaneous job related duties as requested.