This mid-level position reports to the Release of Information Supervisor, and is responsible for processing all Release of Information (ROI) requests, in compliance with organization policies, HIPAA and State regulations to ensure the highest quality of patient care is provided while maintaining the confidentiality of our patients protected health information. In addition to these responsibilities, the ROI Specialist responds to any inquiries coming from phone calls, inbox, or FMH Patient Portal dashboard queue. Ensures that only authorized individuals have access to the patient's health information and that all releases of information are in compliance with the request.
- Family-Centered care that focuses on the need of the child first and values the family as an important member of the care team
- Excellence in clinical care, service and communication
- Collaborative within our institution and with others who share our mission and goals
- Leadership that set the standard for pediatric health care today and innovations of the future
- Accountability to our patients, community and each other for providing the best in the most cost-effective way.
- Reviews and processes requests for release of information by obtaining a valid authorization when required. All requests are documented in the ROI software per departmental procedures. Verifies proper authorization for release of health information through analysis of each record. Ensures the requester is legally authorized representative or entity. Uses various forms of media to complete requests for health information (Copier, fax machine, CD's, Scanner, etc). Process sending invites, extending invites, deleting invites/access, removing access and submitting declines for the Patient Portal. Ensure that the patient/LAR is educated on how to use Follow My Health portal. Log information on FMH spreadsheet to record exact account of details for each FMH request.
- Effectively uses computer software and technology as required by the organization including Microsoft Word and Excel. Uses fax, copier, phone system and other required tools. Locates the records for the patient in multiple systems as required. Be able to accurately and timely complete FMH audits on a daily basis to ensure FMH access is currently appropriate. Update FMH spreadsheet when access permissions have changed. Meets minimum performance standards. Delivers positive customer service and ensures process deadlines are met.
Participates in a variety of department, unit and hospital educational programs to maintain current skill and competency levels.
- Acts as a resource and trainer for ROI Technicians and those who need assistance on the FMH process. Provides cross-functional support coverage as needed due to peak volumes.
- Understands and becomes knowledgeable of Release of Information standards, policies and procedures and HIPAA regulations and completes work in compliance of these and other applicable standards. Obtains guidance from Department Manager/designee and Privacy Officer for appropriate interpretation on relevant policies, procedures and regulations for privacy, confidentiality, patient rights and disclosure of information.
- Performs miscellaneous job related duties as requested.