The Controller is responsible for the day to day operations of Accounting Services, including supervision of a team totaling 23 staff members and functional responsibility over Accounting, Accounts Payable, Payroll, Cash Management and Treasury, Grants and Research Financial Administration, Long Term and Monthly Financial Forecasting, Cost Reporting, and Capital Planning. The Controller is responsible for the development, implementation, and maintenance of the accounting systems to maintain effective internal controls that protect the organizations assets and provide complete, timely, and accurate financial information. The Controller provides crucial insight into business operations through analyses of operations, review of performance benchmarking, and assisting in business forecasting with senior and hospital leadership to achieve a higher level of performance.
- Family-Centered care that focuses on the need of the child first and values the family as an important member of the care team
- Excellence in clinical care, service and communication
- Collaborative within our institution and with others who share our mission and goals
- Leadership that set the standard for pediatric health care today and innovations of the future
- Accountability to our patients, community and each other for providing the best in the most cost-effective way.
Accounts, Ledgers and Reporting Systems Oversight
- Oversees all accounts, ledgers, and reporting systems ensuring compliance with GAAP and other regulatory requirements and maintains internal control over recognition of revenue, receipts of cash, costs, program budgets, and actual expenditures. Ensures timely and accurate monthly balance sheet reconciliation.
Year-End Outside Independent Audit Coordination
- Coordinates year-end outside independent audit of the financial statements and the timely provision of all information requested by the auditors. Responsible for advising senior leadership on accounting issues and the potential impact of GASB and AICPA pronouncements on PCHs financial performance. Leads and interfaces in all other external audit activity.
Financial Data Analysis
- Consistently analyzes financial data and presents financial reports in an accurate and timely manner; identifies, explains, and corrects variances as appropriate. Clearly communicates monthly, quarterly, and annual financial statements; monitors progress and changes and keeps executive and senior leadership abreast of Phoenix Childrens financial status.
Monthly Financial Forecast Development Oversight
- Oversees development of monthly financial forecast and annual development of five year financial and capital planning processes. Reviews all financial plans and compares to actual results to identify, explain, and correct variances as appropriate.
Financial Analytic Support
- Provides financial analytical support to strategic planning efforts, including pro forma analyses, joint venture development, and program and service expansion activities. Provides physician acquisition and performance management reporting support to the medical group. Provides financial coordination and support for all merger and acquisition activities.
Debt Financing Coordination
- Directs and coordinates debt financing and debt service payments with external agencies. Develops and enhances structures and relationships related to financing, bond activities, debt structures, and overall finance planning and execution to best meet the current and future needs of Phoenix Children`s.
Foundation, Research and Grant Accounting Oversight
- Oversees Foundation, research, and grant accounting; ensures that expenditures are consistently aligned with grant and program budgets throughout the grant/fund period. Collates financial reporting materials for government, corporate and foundation grants. Ensures compliance with governmental requirements.
Financial Advisor Relationship and Investment Holdings Oversight
- Responsible for managing the financial advisor relationship and oversight of investment holdings, with the ultimate goal of managing liquidity and mitigating operational, financial, and reputational risk. Manages all banking relationships, bank accounts, cash balances and ensures timely completion of bank reconciliations for all accounts.
- Guides individuals and groups toward desired outcomes with minimal supervision, sets high performance standards, and delivers high quality services. Mentors finance team to leverage strengths and increase skill set. Develops and implements training to maximize and reach optimal individual and organizational goals. Provides leadership in strengthening internal communications with staff at all levels of the organization. Creates and promotes a positive and supportive work culture.
- Assures hospital compliance with federal, state, and local government laws and regulations, accrediting agency standards and hospital policies and procedures rules and regulations. Develop, document and implement departmental accounting policies, procedures, and standards.
- Performs miscellaneous job related duties as requested.