This position assigns, per coding guidelines, the current version of ICD diagnosis and procedure codes for Inpatient medical records or outpatient Infusion accounts. Completes coding for all accounts on a timely basis within the four day bill hold time frame. This position also follows up on all accounts needing coding queries or documentation completion by clinicians or medical staff. Demonstrates coding competencies with quality of coding and meeting department productivity standards.
- Family-Centered care that focuses on the need of the child first and values the family as an important member of the care team
- Excellence in clinical care, service and communication
- Collaborative within our institution and with others who share our mission and goals
- Leadership that set the standard for pediatric health care today and innovations of the future
- Accountability to our patients, community and each other for providing the best in the most cost-effective way.
Maintains consistent coding accuracy rate of 95% or better.
- Assigns diagnosis codes and procedure codes utilizing the current version of ICD diagnosis and procedure codes and CPT-4 coding classification systems in compliance with hospital guidelines, ICD-9-CM Official Guidelines for Coding and Reporting, and UHDDS definitions.
- Meets the established productivity standards for each visit type coded.
- Abstracts clinical and requested data from the health record and enters into HRM with a 99% abstraction accuracy rate.
- Communicates via Coding Queries with medical staff when appropriate to facilitate the assignment of proper diagnosis and procedure codes.
- Demonstrates competencies with all software and hospital systems utilized, including HRM, ChartMaxx, SCM, 3M Encoder, and AMPFM.
- Monitors daily the Fatal Edit report to ensure all assigned records are coded on a timely basis within the four day bill hold time frame.
- Acts as a resource to hospital staff for all coding related questions. Responds in a timely manner to e-mails, bill edits, or other requests.
- Maintains professional certification and technical competency by attending education and training activities sponsored through the hospital, professional associations, and through independent study. Keeps apprised of current trends, developments and awareness of coding changes.
- Performs miscellaneous job related duties as requested.