This position provides individual and group age appropriate developmental and psychosocial supervision, support, and treatment consistent with established objectives, including crisis management, use of trauma informed care, and behavioral management and modification procedures to facilitate achievement of desired treatment outcomes.
- Family-Centered care that focuses on the need of the child first and values the family as an important member of the care team
- Excellence in clinical care, service and communication
- Collaborative within our institution and with others who share our mission and goals
- Leadership that set the standard for pediatric health care today and innovations of the future
- Accountability to our patients, community and each other for providing the best in the most cost-effective way.
- Assists the physician, RN, Social Worker and other treatment team members in decision-making to ensure complete and appropriate information is shared.
- Identifies and reports any pertinent behavioral, medical, and/or psychosocial data to the physician, RN, and/or Social Worker.
- Provides continuous therapeutic care and observation to patients in their daily routines, including meals, school sessions, social and education groups, and activities of daily living to assist in achievement of established treatment plan outcomes for modification of behavior.
- Assists in the education of parents regarding behavioral/emotional techniques and support.
- Implements behavior management protocols in a safe, and therapeutic manner.
- Responds to crisis situations appropriately, effectively, and calmly to ensure ongoing safety of patients and others.
- Serves as positive role model by establishing maintaining positive, therapeutic relationships and appropriate boundaries with patients and their guardians.
- Creates and maintains a safe and therapeutic environment.
- Completes vital sign monitoring per policy.
- Maintains confidentiality.
- Documents patient progress, functioning, and interventions in the appropriate charting format.
- Documents unusual occurrences, accidents and incidents in the appropriate reporting format.
- Actively participates as a member of the multi-disciplinary treatment team to develop and employ a total patient care program by consistently attending and contributing to multi-disciplinary staffing and team meetings.
- Influences coworkers in a positive direction.
- Participates in cooperative efforts by contributing to discussions, listening to others' ideas, and supporting group consensus.
- Accepts any challenges within the hospital and/or unit as a shared responsibility.
- Respects differing viewpoints even when in conflict with their own.
- Shares complete and unbiased information in an open and professional manner.
1:1 or 1:2 Sitter
- Maintains continual visual observation of assigned patient(s) requiring additional observation for safety reasons. Stays within arm’s reach as appropriate. Provides constant safety monitoring, may include while the patient is showering and toileting. Never leaves the patient alone or out of sight unless specifically instructed by the RN.
- Maintains an accurate record of patient activity, behaviors, and interventions. Notifies the RN of significant changes.
- Ensures a safe environment, (removing clutter, maintaining ligature resistant standards).
- Engages as appropriate the patient in diversional activities.
- Demonstrates behavior management strategies for de-escalating agitated patients.
- Follows universal precautions whenever giving any aspect of patient observation and surveillance. Maintains isolation precautions for self, patient and other staff as appropriate based on order.
- Maintains confidentiality.
- Be a sitter for patients needing 1:1 supervision across the hospital for medical or behavioral reasons.
- Provides guidance, mentoring, and direction as appropriate for ongoing staff development.
- Provides work assignments and indirect supervision to program volunteers.
- Receives close clinical supervision from behavioral health providers qualified to ensure ongoing knowledge, skills, and competency.
- Participates in unit based and hospital sponsored educational programs to maintain skills and competencies.
- Performs miscellaneous job related duties as requested.