This position provides occupational therapy services with emphasis on the upper limb to a pediatric population, from infant through adolescence/young adulthood, specific to age and developmental/functional level determined by assessment. Performs evaluation, program planning, and treatment of patients who have a variety of diagnoses involving the upper limb, which includes the hand, wrist, elbow, and shoulder girdle. Implements patient’s plan of care using treatment modalities including but not limited to: exercise, mobilization, splinting, taping, heat/cold, electrical stimulation, and ultrasound as prescribed by a physician.
- Family-Centered care that focuses on the need of the child first and values the family as an important member of the care team
- Excellence in clinical care, service and communication
- Collaborative within our institution and with others who share our mission and goals
- Leadership that set the standard for pediatric health care today and innovations of the future
- Accountability to our patients, community and each other for providing the best in the most cost-effective way.
- Evaluates and treats patients with a variety of diagnoses involving the upper extremity, which includes the hand, wrist, elbow, and shoulder girdle. Possesses comprehensive knowledge of the structure and function of the upper extremity with activity and in the presence of other diagnoses including but not limited to: neurological, sensorimotor, musculoskeletal, complex medical conditions, trauma, and/or occupational performance disorders/delays. Demonstrates knowledge of typical development and possesses skills necessary to provide age appropriate services in areas of self-care and play involving motor, sensory-integrative, cognitive, and psychosocial functions. Uses pediatric-based behavior management strategies and matches diagnostic/therapeutic interventions to age/ability of the child using a framework of family-centered care. Uses specialized skills in assessment, planning, and treatment. Establishes appropriate treatment plans with age appropriate, functional, and measurable goals with target timeframes. Obtains mutual agreement upon discussion with family/guardian. Provides therapeutic interventions to restore function, prevent dysfunction, and/or reverse the progression of pathology of the upper extremity in order to enhance/maximize patient’s ability to execute tasks and participate fully in life situations. Implements patient’s plan of care using treatment modalities including but not limited to: exercise, mobilization, splinting, taping, heat/cold, electrical stimulation, and ultrasound as prescribed by a physician. This may include recommending, designing, and/or fabrication of specialized equipment to maximize function. Performs patient/family teaching for maximizing function within the home/community and implementation of home program. Possesses excellent communication and motivational skills to help patients overcome their hand-related problems. Provides care as outlined in standards of care section of the AOTA and PCH Policies & Procedures Manual.
- Maintains appropriate and timely documentation in compliance with Joint Commission, state/federal guidelines, and CARF standards, including participation in Total Quality Management.
- Organizes, coordinates, and collaborates with other disciplines within the hospital and resources within the community in order to maximize value and effectiveness of plan of care. Participates in and contributes to hand clinic, outpatient rounds, care conferences, discharge planning, school re-entry, and patient/family education.
- Builds and maintains rapport within the department, hospital, and community, while professionally interacting with physicians, families, and hospital/community personnel. This includes preparation and participation in in-service training programs. Supervises and directs assistive personnel including but not limited to certified occupational therapy assistants, rehab technicians, and students, providing input into their performance evaluations.
- Performs miscellaneous job related duties as requested.