The Director Advanced Clinical Practice is responsible for the 24/7 management of all aspects of the advanced practice positions within Phoenix Children's Hospital. This position serves as an expert resource for requirements related to licensure, regulatory guidelines, and practice issues for advanced practice nursing positions including Nurse Practitioners, Physician Assistants, and Clinical Nurse Specialists.
- Family-Centered care that focuses on the need of the child first and values the family as an important member of the care team
- Excellence in clinical care, service and communication
- Collaborative within our institution and with others who share our mission and goals
- Leadership that set the standard for pediatric health care today and innovations of the future
- Accountability to our patients, community and each other for providing the best in the most cost-effective way.
Patient Care Responsibilities
- Conducts comprehensive or episodic health history and physical assessment of patients/families with acute, chronic and/or potential health problems.
- Establishes medical diagnoses.
- Accurately and appropriately transcribes or executes standing orders at the direction of the supervising physician. Writes specific orders within the limits of the practice agreement/scope of practice.
- Provides appropriate direction to clinic staff regarding patient care issues.
- Communicates effectively with referring health care providers.
- Works with administrative and departmental leaders within PCMG and across the enterprise to methodically operationalize the infrastructure for Advanced Practice Providers in order to reach comprehensive goals and successful integrate APPs into the PCH Strategic Plan, as well as assuring the appropriate complement of care providers needed to support the operations within each division.
- Identifies and addresses issues on topics such as APP practice, education, competency, certification and resource needs.
- This position is responsible for overseeing the achievement of enterprise goals related to the patient experience, quality and patient safety outcomes, continuous performance improvement, and appropriate metrics related to scope of responsibility.
- Serves as an expert resource in the utilization of APPs across multiple environments of care.
- Identifies new and existing practices for the optimization of APPs as well as competency review metrics, financial productivity, clinical outcomes data and technical skills assessments.
- Supports clinical service line growth and development of APP in management of patients across the continuum of care.
- Works within the bylaws of PCH to ensure that APPs function within and to the limits of their scope of practice and in accordance with their delineation of privileges or collaborative practice agreement and addendum.
- Remains aware and up to date with national certifications and state board policies.
- Explores a professional advancement model specific to APPs and works with the VP of Professional Practice to develop guidelines and recommendations for an advancement model. Directs the planning, coordinating, and conducting of staff meetings and leadership development retreats to ensure compliance with established practices and regulatory requirements, to implement new policies, to provide communication to staff, and engage leadership at all levels in strategic planning. Directs the development and implementation of educational programs for advanced clinical practice staff. Ensures the availability of developmental and growth opportunities for personnel.
Credentialing and Privileging
- Serves as a member of the PCH Credentials Committee to ensure due diligence among members, and recommends new members as needed.
- Educates and maintains relevant FPPE and OPPE processes and assist in establishing formal documents that detail scope of practice and privileges
- Works with Professional Practice and departments to establish templates and checklists to ensure documentation of orientation.
- Helps to identify metrics for initial, focused and ongoing professional performance evaluation, as well as integrate simulation and observation of technical skills.
- Determines opportunities to increase knowledge and skills to practice at the top of license.
- Evaluates and makes recommendations on APP workforce position requests based on strategic planning and resource allocation.
- Communicates with department leadership and human resources in an advisory capacity when determining hiring decisions as well as job descriptions, license, certification and market sensitive compensation.
- Participates in the interview process and in the conduct of exit interviews for APP positions.
- Collaborates with PCH leadership to determine needs for advanced clinical practice positions based on hospital metrics, patient care needs, clinical coverage requirements, staffing plans, and projected areas of growth.
- Completes thorough performance appraisals and development planning for personnel in a timely manner. Provides coaching and feedback on performance and expectations to advanced clinical practice personnel.
- Provides leadership and administrative direction including supporting plan development, priority setting, decision-making, fiscal planning and professional development.
- Ensures adequate advanced clinical practice staffing, space, and facilities. Communicates and continuously evaluates plans.
- Provides leadership and direction for policy and procedure development and recommendations regarding advanced clinical practice issues.
- Remains current with trends and changes in practice within advanced practice roles, the organization, and health care industry.
- Performs miscellaneous job related duties as requested.