The Clinical Microbiologist serves as Section Chief (Director) of Infectious Disease testing, including microbiology, virology, parasitology, serology, and molecular diagnostics, and is responsible for quality, regulatory compliance, and operations in this section of the laboratory. The Clinical Microbiologist works collaboratively with the Microbiology Supervisor to hire and manage an experienced technical staff, and provides continuing education and policy revisions to maintain best practice. The Director is responsible for development of new methods and procedures, and ongoing performance of clinical tests in accordance with all CLIA and CAP regulations. The Clinical Microbiologist also provides clinical and technical consultation to the laboratory staff and medical staff pertaining to diagnosis and detection of infectious disease.
- Family-Centered care that focuses on the need of the child first and values the family as an important member of the care team
- Excellence in clinical care, service and communication
- Collaborative within our institution and with others who share our mission and goals
- Leadership that set the standard for pediatric health care today and innovations of the future
- Accountability to our patients, community and each other for providing the best in the most cost-effective way.
- Responsible for the overall operation of the microbiology, virology, and molecular diagnostics section of the laboratory. Works with the section supervisor to hire and manage an experienced technical staff.
Test Method Implementation, Verification and Performance
- Works collaboratively with the Microbiology Supervisor to select, validate, and implement new methods and procedures in microbiology, virology, parasitology, serology, and molecular diagnostics. Ensures verification procedures are adequate to determine the accuracy, precision, and other performance characteristics of the method. Ensures that testing systems developed in the laboratory perform with high quality for all aspects of test performance, including pre-analytic, analytic, and post-analytic phases of testing. Ensures that personnel are performing methods as required to provide accurate and reliable results. Participates in new instrumentation acquisition decisions. Reviews all microbiology policies and procedures.
Quality Assurance and Improvement
- Responsible for the implementation and oversight of proficiency testing, quality control and quality improvement programs. Identifies failures in quality as they occur. Ensures necessary remedial actions are taken and documented whenever significant deviations from the laboratory's established performance standards are identified. Works with section supervisor to ensure that all testing personnel receive the appropriate training for the type and complexity of testing provided and demonstrate competency to perform all testing operations reliably. Establishes operations standards for cost control, waste reduction, and safety.
Accreditation and Regulatory Compliance
- Responsible for ensuring that lab meets or exceeds all accreditation requirements including CLIA, CAP, and Joint Commission. Ensures appropriate enrollment in proficiency testing activities required by regulations and accrediting organizations. Ensures regulatory compliance with federal standards and state laws.
Clinical and Technical Consultation
- Responsible for the professional interpretation of all infectious disease testing performed. Provides consultation to laboratory staff and medical staff pertaining to infectious disease detection and monitoring. Provides consultation regarding appropriate test utilization. Consults with testing personnel and department customers to resolve technical and clinical problems, acting as resource for laboratory staff and medical staff. Establish lines of communication with customers to ensure timely response to new clinical service trends affecting program planning. Assure that test reports contain all necessary information for accurate interpretation. Serve on hospital or system committees, as needed.
- Interacts closely with infectious disease providers, Infection Prevention and Control, and Antibiotic Stewardship Program to evaluate novel technologies and provide technical expertise on existing platforms. Ensures appropriate use of microbiology testing and advocates for best practice in specimen collection to optimize diagnostic yield.
- Works with the section supervisor and leadership team to develop strategic goals pertaining to operations, quality improvement, and growth opportunities in microbiology. Advises leadership of developing trends and clinical service needs. Identifies growth and outreach opportunities through at least annual evaluation of send-out testing volumes. Works with laboratory management to develop operations and capital budgets to ensure appropriate business investments and fiscal responsibility.
- Continues personal and professional development to enhance job-related competency, including participation in national meetings, committees, and other opportunities for continuing education. Develops regional or national recognition for expertise in microbiology through leadership and/or scholarly contributions. Manages time and resources effectively.
- Provides in-service training and other educational programs for trainees, laboratory staff and medical staff, including teaching and direct supervision for rotators in the microbiology section and participation in multidisciplinary team meetings, Microbiology rounds, or similar activities.
Positive behaviors and professionalism
- Maintains a positive working relationship with peers, management and customers at all times. Communicates openly, honestly, respectfully and directly. Maintains privacy at all times for patients and employee information. Offers help to others to solve problems and complete tasks to facilitate communication and positive team dynamics. Consistently displays productive work habits. Demonstrates accountability for actions and decisions in daily work. Solicits and accepts feedback in a positive manner. Offers constructive input to support the work unit. Shows leadership attributes of flexibility, adaptability and resilience.
- Performs miscellaneous job related duties as requested.