This position plans, develops, directs, implements and is directly accountable for all Inpatient (IP) Pharmacy daily operations and related functions, staff and programs to support, improve and enhance patient care. Serves as the designated Pharmacist in Charge (PIC) for the Arizona Board of Pharmacy (AZ BOP) for Inpatient (IP) and related services, and reports directly to the Chief of Pharmacy Services. Responsible for the human resources management functions that support the pharmacy staff for Inpatient Pharmacy Services and directly manages the Inpatient Operations leadership staff, Pharmacy Compliance Staff, and the Pharmacy Applications Support Analyst.
- Family-Centered care that focuses on the need of the child first and values the family as an important member of the care team
- Excellence in clinical care, service and communication
- Collaborative within our institution and with others who share our mission and goals
- Leadership that set the standard for pediatric health care today and innovations of the future
- Accountability to our patients, community and each other for providing the best in the most cost-effective way.
Responsible for effectively planning, developing, implementing, leading and providing oversight for IP services daily operations.
- Develops and manages the IP Pharmacy Operations strategic planning goals and objectives that are consistent with the department and organizational strategic plan, budget goals and metrics.
- Effectively develops and implements IP pharmacy services in collaboration with associated department services. Functions as the department liaison for all inpatient operations and supports the duties of the Chief of Pharmacy in their absence.
- Oversees and assures compliance and accountability of controlled substances and according to state and federal regulations and completes all documentation needed for annual Board of Pharmacy inspections. Serves as the Designated Pharmacist in Charge (PIC) for the IP Hospital/Main Campus Pharmacy License and DEA permits and provides indirect oversight for remote IP campus activities.
- Actively contributes and manages the pharmacy department pharmacoeconomic efforts and formulary management in conjunction with the Chief of Pharmacy Services and works effectively in collaboration with all other department managers to develop and implement cost reduction strategies to maintain budgeted costs.
- Develops and enforces policies and procedures that insure appropriate, cost-effective and safe medication management that maintains compliance and the approved hospital formulary system.
Actively leads daily IP and related ambulatory operations and maintains departmental quality control programs and compliance related to medication management as appropriate.
- Maintains an active role and serves as the primary leader in the Medication Management Process Performance Improvement Committees activities.
- Insures that IP and related pharmacy services are in compliance with The Joint Commission (TJC), all related federal, state and local, the Center for Medicaid and Medical Services (CMS) and the Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA) standards and statutes are in continuous regulatory readiness and compliance status. Responsible for the Arizona Board of Pharmacy (BOP) and organizational policies and ensures all are current and in effect as required.
- Provides direct oversight for the Compliance Staff and ensures ongoing compliant activities.
- Actively plans, provides oversight and implements existing and new programs for Inpatient and related pharmacy services and will assist the Chief of Pharmacy with building programs.
Actively participates in hospital quality assurance (QA) and safety committees, Pharmacy and Therapeutics (P&T), multidisciplinary teams and projects, and provides leadership as assigned.
- Manages all operations clinical contracts and vendors in collaboration with the Clinical and Pharmacy Business Managers.
- Serves as the IP Pharmacy Operations member of the Medication Management Committee
- Responsible for survey readiness team activities
- Development of pharmacy department quality assurance measures to support safe patient care.
Directly supervises and provides on time performance evaluations, assures competency training for assigned IP managers, leaders, pharmacists, technicians, students, pharmacy interns and operations leaders and implements programs that support employee engagement
- Implements regular, proactive and effective employee reward and recognition programs and performance improvement plans as required.
- Actively participates in effective employee engagement and periodic feedback to the staff to meet or exceed department and organizational goals.
- Actively serves as the primary administrative contact and liaison for IP pharmacy operation and requests for customer service support within the organization and provides timely and effective follow-up, problem resolution and communication to pharmacy managers, staff and external customers
- Performs miscellaneous job related duties as requested.